Virgin Mobile

calls to Vonage

Whiz Kid

calls to Vonage

Calls to a Vonage phone are only one way communications, i.e. I am heard by them, but they cannot hear me. This started yesterday, and I've spent ~16 hours trying to solve this, with no help from either carrier, each sending me back to the other : (

7 REPLIES 7

Re: calls to Vonage

Hey there, bareman! Are you able to communicate well with other callers on a regular call?

Enthusiast

I am having the same issue! When I call a Vonage VOIP landline, the other end picks up, can hear me, but I cannot hear them. This only happens with Vonage users, all other wireless carriers (ATT, TMobile, Verizon) and landline (Ooma, Verizon, Comcast) seem to work fine. Here's some good news, and some bad news.

Good News: I am a Network engineer and work closely with Telecom engineers. This is a known issue with the SIP trunking and call hand off between the carriers, most likely on Vonage's side. 

Bad News: They will, like you said, probably not solve it until it becomes a bigger problem, or if you get a competent engineer from both carriers on a conference call. From there, you should ask to place a call to a Vonage customer to recreate the issue and have them monitor the incoming and outgoing calls from both sides. They should be able to determine the issue from there. Good luck getting someone from both sides on the phone at the same time!

Good News: A work around for the time being until Vonage and Virgin Mobile get their acts together is to use an app like Google Voice. I found making the call through Google Voice works perfectly. That's because Google Voice uses proxy relay numbers to connect the call. It's free and as easy to use as the normal phone app. Good luck!

Whiz Kid

No problems except when calling from Virgin Mobile (Sprint Network) to Vonage (VOIP). I need to get engineers from both sides on the phone at the same time, but neither side is willing to cooperate at all.

Highlighted
Agent

So sorry for the delayed response. It looks like we'll have to escalate this situation to our Network team. Can you shoot us a private message with your phone number so we can investigate?

Enthusiast

PM sent to you with my call and # info

Agent

Hi, PriestPorridge! We have received your private message. We will be happy to assist you and will take care of this for you today.. Thank you!

Enthusiast

This problem was resolved for me. I can now hear two way talk on calls to Vonage VOIP landlines. Not sure what changed on Virgin Mobile or Vonage’s side. Is anyone else still having this problem?