Virgin Mobile

ANS UL40 Battery Discharges Fast

Enthusiast

Re: ANS UL40 Battery Discharges Fast

*I'm

*stream

*doesn't

@gamer36 wrote:

i agree with papa there and everyone else who has that model cause i even have one too it even takes me to a black screen when im watching a twitch.tv streamers then when the lock screen appears it does want to swipe up to unlock  

Enthusiast

@gamer36 wrote:

these ANS UL40 models need to be disscontinued because of how defective they are 

I totally and 100 percent completely agree with this statement. I have had 3 of these phones so far and about to request yet another replacement... Big surprise, I know right!

My experience with this device goes a little something like this... It works great for about 2 months and then the battery keeps discharging faster and faster each day it seems like. Next thing I know the charging port gradually gets looser and I have to wiggle the cord around a bit to find her G spot to get it to take a charge but if the phone gets bumped or the cord decides to settle with the effects of gravity or whatever the reason may be, the battery will actually drainwhile plugged in! Now I have to let the phone completely die again before it will begin to take a charge. After a week of struggling to charge my phone, it doesn't want to turn on anymore. I can get it to power on for a couple of minutes by plugging it in for a couple seconds and pressing the power button once the phone indicates it is charging, but it turns right back off again without warning...

The software on the device seems to run fairly smoothly for being a generic low end device but seems to have some major hardware  health issues!

The Assurance customer service team is about as useless as a screen door on a submarine... Each time I have called them they tell me I need to factory reset the device and I have to try to get them to understand that the device will not stay powered on long enough to perform the factory reset and that factory resetting the device does not, cannot, and will not repair a hardware failure... 20 minutes later I am told that I am not eligible for a replacement device due to another recent replacement and then they go on and on about how I can only get a replacement phone like once every 6 months or once a year. At this point I end up spending another 20 minutes trying to get them to understand that I am requesting a replacement under the device manufacturers warranty and not due to neglegence or any fault on my part... when I get tired of arguing with incompitent fools that barely speak or understand basic English I request to speak to a supervisor or whoever is the highest ranking person availabe in their call center, and they ramble on some crap I can't understand but am able to come to the conclusion that they are basically just trying to make excuses as to why I can't speak to someone of authority and that is more knowldgeable than just reading a script from a computer screen that just talks them through the process of explaining to you how performing the factory reset! 

I have found that I get much much better results if I just send them an Email and state that my letter to them is to be immideately forwarded to a supervisor, typically within 2 or 3 emails back and forth over a couple day period I finally get approved for a replacement which typically arrives within 3 or 4 days via a parcel service like UPS or FedEx!

Whiz Kid

The 3rd ans ul40 (aka horrible devil phone  ) that assurance wireless sent me died no more than 20 minutes ago the demonic thing will not power on at all it is completely dead. All of this after giving me hell for 3 weeks with texts not going through. All the phones being sold on the assurance wireless "shop" are reconditioned and AT LEAST 50 dollars marked up what you would pay anywhere else And OF COURSE these reconditioned phones will not work just like every single phone assurance wireless has sent me in the past 8 years. Then the terms and conditions say that the poor injured customer must pay 25 dollars just to send the defective phone back!!! The whole Kabal of assurance wireless deserves a special place in hell for making the lives of homeless disabled and elderly people on government cell phone assistance a complete nightmare.

Whiz Kid

I have had the ans ul40 for a couple of months though Assurance. I have tolerated the short battery life with an external battery. However, now it does not turn on after an attempted charge. This happened before but it started working again. I tried combinations of the volume and power keys but nothing worked. I am still looking for a remedy on the internet.

I have been looking at the Samsung J3 they sell, but it is overpriced and I am told I can only use the phones they sell. There may be a recent trend towards phones that work on all carriers. Both Huawei and Motorola have new phones that have many LTE bands and are reasonably priced. It is good that low income people get smartphones as smartphones have become almost essential (no more pay phones, required email, etc), but this is illogical.

Agent

Good day! We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we do not offer assistance for Assurance Wireless through this channel. We recommended you to contact them, to their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AssuranceWireless/.

~JoyP.

Heavy Hitter

The phone is definitely defective.  I had 3-4 replacements of the same phone.  This is the beginning of problems with this phone. A woman from tech support yelled at me for charging the phone overnight and I only got the phone charged to 26%.  2 phones overheated and it burned my hand when I picked it up and I ended dropping the phones and cracking the screens.

Finally, Assurance Wireless sent out the UL50 and here are the problems I am now experiencing.

1) I can blacken the screen while on a call 2 things happen. The phone goes mute and it disconnects.

2) Last night I charged the phone overnight when it got to 4% in the red.  I charged it overnight, it took me over 1 hour before I could turn the phone on. What the UL series phones do, when in the red and you put it on the charger, it continues to use what is left on the battery and then shuts down.  After charging, it takes its time to turn on for you to use your phone.

Assurance Wireless will replace the phone but it will be a refurbished phone.  Several of my neighbors have the UL40 and they have received many replacements and still experience the same problems.

I wish you luck in this endeavor.

Heavy Hitter

What Assurance Wireless will do is to get you to purchase an overpriced phone from their website. The so-called CCR may receive brownie points from their employer.

Enthusiast

Exactly. Not only that, it gets slower, regardless of the fact that you delete apps and free up RAM and storage space. Right now, it's inoperable.
Whiz Kid

I went through this today with tech support.  It sounds weird but this is what she told me to do.  Go through Settings, then scroll to Cellular Data and turn it off.  This will mean you can only use WiFi until you turn it back on.  That’s great for me because I have WiFi.  My confidence level in her advice is low but I’ll leave it off the charger tonight to see if works to preserve the battery.  Good luck to us both.

Susan.

Whiz Kid

I agree with your sentiments.  This ANS Phone is a highly problematic phone and I’ve had three replacements in under a year.  They are all so poorly made that the experience forces you to go to their Store and purchase something decent.  As a business model this is unethical. We should have a basic device that can perform with a decent level of reliability.  This is the first time I’ve had trouble with the ANS discharging so rapidly.  The two other times were drop issues and even just a three inch drop will destroy this phone, and guess what? No one makes a protective case for this ANS.  I’m going to have to save up enough money to purchase a decent phone from their store.