Virgin Mobile

ANS UL40 phone won't down load mms messages & has pop ads

Highlighted
Whiz Kid

ANS UL40 phone won't down load mms messages & has pop ads

Hi everyone,

I just received and transferred my service to a model ANS UL40 phone. I have 3 problems with it.

1. Won't download MMS messages. It keeps stating "cellular data is turned off. check your settings". I'm hooked up to high speed wifi.

2. I'm receiving pop up ads. They come up sporadically and advertise pills, dating sites and stories for me to click on. Is this a virus or something that came with my service.?

3. "Wireless Update: Find New Version" is always one of the notices in the background.

I'd appreciate any information/ solutions to these problems.

Thanks

Jonathan

7 REPLIES 7
Agent

Re: ANS UL40 phone won't down load mms messages & has pop ads

Hi Jonathan!

MMS works over Mobile Data. You'll be able to download you rMMS after you have established a mobile web connection. Pop up ads, are usually generated by an invasive app on your phone, probably an ad-ware. Try removing unknown apps as a test. What happens when you tap on the Wireless Update notification?

EdwinRG.

Whiz Kid

The pop-up ads come with the phone and start popping up as soon as the phone gets set up, even before adding any apps.  It also randomly downloads apps on its own without asking.  It's all built-in.

Agent

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, @gerryu21220. This may be caused by an outdated software version. Please check your current software version.

>Check for Software Updates

1. From the home screen, swipe down the Status bar.
  2. Tap the Settings icon.
  3. Scroll to and tap About phone.
  4. Tap System update.
  5. Tap System update.
  6. Tap Detection of update.

Note: The device must be connected to a wi-fi network to check for an update.

7. If an update is available, follow the prompts to update your device.

If not, your device is up to date.

Note: If the issue persists, please let us know. 

Whiz Kid

Carol21 at Virgin Mobile, I am having the exact same problem with pop up ads in the ANS UL40 phone that I got two days ago.  The ads pop up constantly, when I am trying to do anything on the phone.  The only way I can get rid of these ads when I'm using the Chrome browser for Facebook, Twitter, etc., is to open the ad, which opens a new tab, then I have to go in and close that tab.

Carol 21, I followed your instructions about detecting an update, but there are no updates for it now.  This phone is new to me so all the updates were done when I first turned it on.  

When I'm in the Chrome browser there is no X in the corner to close the ad.  I am forced to tap it, which opens a new tab full of ads, and then go through the process of closing that tab.  It's a drag, and if this cannot be resolved I will need to return this phone. 

Agent

Sorry to hear that, Rose2. Please contact Assurance Wireless customer service at 888-321-5880.

Whiz Kid

Do you seriously think all these freaking people would be on these forums if Assurance Wireless "Customer Service" ever actually helped at all?

Enthusiast

Exactly:

Assurance rep (2nd tier) said the malware is in the ROM, then proceeded to try and wipe it (that doesn't work on anything in ROM). Got a replacement phone 3/18/19.  Let it sit on wifi, but did *NOT* activate it. Malware came up on the phone.

The malware blocks access to the phone keypad and function buttons (including the Home button).  It has a countdown timer of around 6 seconds. The close button is 3mm across, and put over an inch wide Install button for whatever it spams. Sometimes I can't answer calls, because the ads block *ALL* access to the function buttons until the timer has counted down.

My phone is going to investigators.  Got a message that if I don't return it, my account may be suspended.

I (kindly) asked an Assurance support manager for contact info for the legal department, and he REFUSED. I said, "wait what??? I have to document this.".  He refused to say anything more other than, "I will not tell you anything if you are recording" (over and over). To my question of "Can you give me contact information for the legal department?" and "That's fine.  I just need contact info for Assurance Wireless legal department"...

I have that on recording, as well as the UNACTIVATED and unused replacement phone spamming ads after allowing it on wifi for the *first* time.

People with the phone (or any other one with "factory-installed" malware) should file complaints with: complaint.ic3.gov, consumercomplaints.fcc.gov, Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) (888)641-8722 LifelineSupport@usac.org, FCC Whisteleblower for LifeLine Service 855-455-8477, and your local FBI may want the phone.  Your state's utility regulator also is a place to file a complaint.

FYI - If Assurance sends you a replacement phone with the same issue, the referenecs listed above want you to return and ammend your complaint with the "additional info", and in some cases file a second complaint.