Virgin Mobile

Ads from unknown app pop up on UMX when no apps are open.

Highlighted
Master

Ads from unknown app pop up on UMX when no apps are open.

I have a fairly new UMX android phone via the Assurance plan. I am pretty android savvy and careful about apps. I keep having ads pop up whenever I wake my phone to check a call or text and I cannot get rid of it or do ANYTHING else to my phone until I touch the X, which often misses or it pops up when I am in mid-click on a text and it will start downloading whatever it is advertising.
I removed the couple of apps I had downloaded when I first noticed the ads to no avail.
I looked through all of the permissions of installed apps and none seemed to have that kind of permission.
I installed Malwarebytes, but it hasn't found anything.
It is SO annoying, but I also hate to factory start my phone. Any suggestions? 
Thanks in advance!

48 REPLIES 48
Agent

Re: Ads from unknown app pop up on UMX when no apps are open.

Hi there, Legsy! Please contact Assurance Wireless at (888) 898-4888 for assistance with your case.

Whiz Kid

I have the same problem with the **bleep** ads, Have even replaced the phone with a new one, Still getting the ads, Has to be something Assurance wireless tossed in there I have tried everything and cannot fid a way to remedy the problem, This is disturbing because some of the apps that get automatically installed are potentially malware, Also dont bother calling assurance wireless it took me over 1 hour to finally get someone from support that spoke broken english and could not understand what I was telling them, Just useless.

Master

Thank you so much for telling me that you have the same problem and you even replaced the phone. I am pretty tech savvy and keep delving in to find the offending app, but I just can't find it and I don't download apps for this POS phone., as I use my tablet for anything other than calls and texts. I wouldn't even care much if I couldn't use the browser or other apps with this ad problem but it happens when I try to answer calls and view texts.

I, too, have found Assurance service the absolute pits and useless.

Maybe it's time for Assurance to be reviewed more carefully for the poor service the US Government is paying for for its citizens.

BTW, to stretch your monthly minutes, use Google Hangouts to call any phone in the US for free!  I use it at home for every call I make for unlimited minutes.

Master

Thanks for replying, Fonsy, but I have contacted Assurance and they know FAR less than I do about it.

Agent

We do understand that, @Legsy! Unfortunately, we're unable to assist assurance wireless customers through this channel. We can only recommend you to call them at the number previously provided or you can also go to their Facebook Page.

Whiz Kid

I have found the source of the problem, for me anyways. The culprit was the built in gallery app. Just disable it and get an ad free replacement from the play store.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/newreply.php?t=3676609
Whiz Kid

I have solved the issue, for me anyways. In my case the culprit was the built in gallery app. I just disabled it and found a suitable ad free replacement from the play store.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/newreply.php?t=3676609
Agent

Hi there Haleon. Thank you for confirming that one for us. Victor21

Whiz Kid

OMG...thanks for the info...i have been searching for this for like 6 months now. I too have had the same problem.. i have factory reset--which did nothing..i have replaced the phone--but the ads came back within the first week.. and now I will try to disable the gallery and download a new gallery app. Thanks again.