Virgin Mobile

Ads from unknown app pop up on UMX when no apps are open.

Whiz Kid

Re: Ads from unknown app pop up on UMX when no apps are open.

Hello,

I had the exact same problem with ads constantly popping up. In my case, this adware is located in the system partition. The only thing I can think of to get rid of it is by reflashing the ROM. Unfortunately for me, it’s incredibly difficult to find a ROM for my phone. Since I couldn’t delete the adware, I disabled it. If you can’t delete, disable is the next best solution.

In my case, the adware app is called “ad-surface”. If you don’t have this adware, here’s the links I used as reference for other possible solutions:

https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/63140/find-what-app-is-causing-popups-not-in-notificatio....

https://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/365217-random-apps-keep-installing-themselves-3.h...

(This one refers to malware and how to get rid of it starting on the 2nd page. Found it to be informative.)

On a side note, I heard other people having ads from their app “Featured Apps”. I didn’t have ads coming from it. However, I disabled it to maximize my phone’s performance.

Here’s my solution that worked for me:

1) Go to Settings.

2) Next, go to Apps.

3) Once there, look for the 3 vertical dots on the top, right corner. Select it.

4) Next, select the option “Show system”.

5) Scroll down to “ad-surface” and select it.

Next, select Disable, and for good measure (optional), I select “Force stop”. However, need to Force stop every time restart phone.

6) Optional (for good measure), beneath Disable, select Storage, and then “Cleared data” and “Clear cache”.

7) Optional, beneath Storage, select Data usage, and then press on the button for “Background data” to disable it.

8) Optional, beneath Data usage, select Notifications, and then press on the button for “Block all” to enable it.

9) Optional, finally, beneath Notifications, select “Draw over other apps”, and then press on the button “Permit drawing over other apps” to disable it.

Good luck! Hopefully, this works for you too!

Highlighted
Enthusiast

I have not tried your solution completely yet. However, I would like to point out the following things for all people that are reading this thread. First of all disabling the gallery app only stops the push notifications from coming to your notification bar regarding articles that are recommended to you and recommended apps from the Play Store.

If you disable the fake Gallery app that is included on this phone those push notifications will stop coming. But the pop-up ads that you see which take over your whole screen will not stop coming. The solution mentioned above may or may not work. I have not had a chance to try completely yet.

Also another thing I have noticed, the file manager app on this phone says that it was made by CyanogenMod. You can look up what CyanogenMod is, it is a popular custom ROM that comes in many versions. Now why would a phone manufacturer need to have a file manager made by CyanogenMod when a file manager already comes pre-installed on Android? This is a Tell-Tale sign that this is UMX phone has been flashed with a custom ROM instead of the default ROM that the phone originally came with. It may have been installed on phones that were refurbished.

So this means that this crap is going on at the ROM level and to get rid of it entirely you would probably have to reflash the phone with the original ROM that actually is supposed to come with this phone or with a custom rom that does not have this malware ROM. The reason why I say this is because the updates are not updating properly. As someone else mentioned on another page in this thread, this phone is only getting 4 updates out of 60.

I have also noticed that there is a third party app that keeps popping up called "mu update". I have never seen an Android phone use a third-party app to acquire updates. My suspicion is that this third party app is acquiring updates from a non-official server in order to acquire updates that do not disable the adware, hence only getting four updates per attempt. Apparently the original updater that comes with this Android version has been deleted and then replaced with the fake one that is included in this custom ROM.

If all that I suspect is true then your phone is in serious trouble.

Also, for those that don't know. When malware is built into the ROM of your phone then doing a factory reset and wipe cache will have absolutely no effect on it. This is true even if you try to do a factory reset or wipe cache at the black screen you get by holding down the power and volume up buttons as you start the phone, this method still will not work.

The ROM must be reflashed and as someone else said on this thread, it is nearly impossible to find a ROM for this phone.
Enthusiast

I also wanted to point out, and this is extremely important, if what I suspect about this phone having been flashed with a custom rom containing this malware is true then this could mean a lot more problems. Because a custom rom such as this can disable a lot of security features that normally come with Android and can also, possibly, include things that spy on your phone usage such as keyloggers and screenshot software. I would be very careful. My advice to anyone that has this problem with the ads and the possibility that this phone was flashed with a custom rom containing malware, stop using this phone immediately and delete all your personal information off of it. Because you might have spyware on your phone also. Once again, the only solution to this whole mess is to install a legitimate custom ROM that does not have Malware or try to find a copy of the original ROM that came with this phone before it was wrecked.
Master

You people from Virgin Mobile keep telling us to call the company and to go to the Facebook page but that is completly USELESS info. I have spent countless hours on this problem, researching and talking to customer service and customer service is THE WORST of any phone company I have found.

Master

You people from Virgin Mobile keep telling us to call the company and to go to the Facebook page but that is completly USELESS info. CS people are completely uninformed and usually too difficult to understand. 

Master

Assurance Wireless customer service is USELESS.

Agent

Hello @Legsy Did you try to perform a Software Update?

~JoyP.

Master

>>"I've burned through a lot of pre-paid minutes on my son's phone."<<
I don't think you use any minutes to call [the useless] Assurance customer service if you use your Assurance phone.  I have, however, found a great work-around to stretch my minutes when I have wireless internet and this is Google Hangouts. You can call any phone in the US for free with the app and I used it all the time.  I love to use it on my tablet like a speakerphone, much clearer and hands free and my tablet lasts for hours being used, whereas my crappy UMX phone has to stay plugged in most of the time.  Good luck.

Master

Joy, I have been getting updates automatically and recently needed to answer my phone during one, but just turning on the phone locked it up and the only way to get it working again was to remove the battery for a moment.  This happened many times within a week or 2. The apps, including some I don't ever use, get updated ALL the time, too.

Agent

Thanks for the information, @Legsy. To further assist you with this matter, we recommend you contact Assurance Wireless customer support. Here are their Social Media accounts and phone number:

-Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AssuranceWireless/
-Twitter: @AssuranceCare
-Customer Care: 888-321-5880