Virgin Mobile

Ads from unknown app pop up on UMX when no apps are open.

Whiz Kid

Re: Ads from unknown app pop up on UMX when no apps are open.

Thanks for the tip about gallery haleon. I have disabled gallery now, and so far no ads, but it has only been an hour so let's see.

What made you think to try gallery? I have suspected that it is indeed something embedded in a default app, as I had NO other apps installed after factory reset and still got the ads. I even have thought assurance was embedding it in something to help pay for the plan.

In case someone doesn't know how to disable gallery, go to Settings/apps. click the three dot menu and choose Show System. scroll down and click Gallery, and hopefully disable is available there and not greyed out, so click on that.

BTW what was the link you posted, it didn't seem to say anything at all about this.

Whiz Kid

sadly, disabling gallery did not help me, after a little more than an hour the ads came back.

To be clear, I had these ads even after a factory reset, without installing any apps of my own.

I would like to know if the factory reset option found in settings is any different than the factory reset found in the recovery menu... (where you hold the up volume and the power button and can choose wiping data there.)

We have only done the reset that is found in settings menu.

Also I know there is a reset that can be done by dialing symbols on the phone, (I don't know which symbols) the tech support has had me do that in the past for other issues, is that any different of a wipe?

Does any one method wipe out more data than another? Could there be a virus of some sort embedded deep in the firmware or something that can't be reached by a factory reset?

Agent

@LadyWho, please contact Assurance wireless through their Facebook page for assistance.

Whiz Kid

I don't have a facebook account.

I hesitate to call tech support on this issue, since every time I've called on any other issues, I've burned through a lot of pre-paid minutes on my son's phone.

From other threads I've seen on this, all over the web, the support at Assurance will tell you to reset the phone (that doesn't work) or send it back in for replacement. The phone I am currently using is already a replacement, that I JUST got, and did not install any apps on. It was presumably wiped by Assurance and ready for me to set up. When I started getting ads right away, I tried my own factory reset, still no joy.

I will say that since disabling gallery I am getting a lot LESS ads. So presumably this means that default apps that come from assurance pre-loaded on the phone, can have a problem. This is troubling.

Are they purposely putting ads in there? Is there a virus embedded deep on the phone that they are not finding when they refurbish a phone to send to us as a replacement?

Whiz Kid

I am experiencing the same issues on a brand new replacement umx that came in the mail last week. This is embedded and unscrupulous if not illegal. I think an fcc complaint should be next here?
Agent

Hi there nylar. Please contact Assurance wireless through their Facebook page for assistance. Victor21

Whiz Kid

I also have this same problem with the UMX. I tried uninstalling an app at a time, then when that didn't work, a full factory reset. With no add apps and a factory reset OS only, I STILL get lock screen ads. My paid ESET anti virus says the gallery.apk which is part of the operating system and cannot removed is a Trojan dropper. My system calendar was also hacked once by some hip hop gibberish.

In addition, use the app Snoop Snitch. It purports to do an Android Patch Level Analysis. When I run it on my phone, it says that out of some 60 plus updates available for the Android OS being run, exactly 4 have been installed. FOUR.

I have to wonder if having a carrier provided Trojan dropper with lock screen ads that have disabled my phone more than once requiring a battery pull to clear, as well an un-updated operating system might be part of the problem.

Agent

Hey there, @Morgaine66! Please contact Assurance Wireless through their Facebook page for assistance. 

Whiz Kid

This "free" phone is completely unasable. Yesterday I had to make an urgent phone call and it took me a couple of minutes to get past the ads that kept popping up and then opening up when I'd try to close them. If it had been an emergency call I had to make then people might have died because of this intrusive nonsense. Either way if I can't get a replacement I'm taking a sledgehammer to this monstrosity since no human being should ever be subjected to this kind of garbage.

Whiz Kid

Fix UMX pop up ads: go to settings- apps- then click the gear icon on top right- then draw over apps- turn them all off- also click the 3 dots on upper right- select show system- and turn them all off.....next disable the gallery app and download a new gallery app from play store that has no ads. It is most likely only the gallery and only the ad_service draw over