Virgin Mobile

Ads from unknown app pop up on UMX when no apps are open.

Enthusiast

Re: Ads from unknown app pop up on UMX when no apps are open.

If you have been getting updates via the app called M U update, then the updates are not real. It seems that in this custom ROM which is serving malware and adware that this so-called update app is not really updating the phone properly and it is missing 56 out of 60 possible security updates.

My suspicion is that this M U update app is set up to where it will prevent the real built-in Android update software from running because the real security updates would disable or delete the malicious software that is built into the custom ROM.

I don't know if this bad ROM is coming from the manufacturer when people order replacement phones and end up getting refurbishments or if someone is sneaking this custom ROM into the phones after the new revision. But this type of behavior is definitely a culprit of a custom rom that contains adware and malware.

The only fix is flash the original ROM back onto the phone, but there are no copies of the original ROM available online.

For those who don't know, a ROM is like a firmware for the phone. Doing a factory reset will not fix this problem because it will just return the phone to the custom ROM default state. The custom ROM must be completely removed by reflashing the ROM to the original version, which does not seem possible at this time.

Plus, if you look at the update page on Virgin Wireless website for the UMX u673c, the current version number on the website and the current version shown on the phone under settings/about you will see that the two versions are different. This lets you know that the phone does not have the correct software version installed, meaning the correct ROM.
Enthusiast

Ok I deactivated App by app. I have discovered the voice recorder carries ads
Mainly the ads everyone is complaining about. Also v8 app is useless. That can be deactivated too. Then I downloaded a avg antivirus pro. So far no more ads. My assurance wireless is a ANS phone. It Has no gallery. I am most certain it is the voice recorder red app that carried the ads.
Enthusiast

What many people on this forum fail to realize is that the biggest problem with this UMX u673c adware issue is not the ads, it is the security risk. The MU update app is a fake updating app. It performs like it is about to update your phone with the latest Android updates but it does not.

The custom ROM that has been installed on this phone which is causing the adware that you are seeing is also the same problem which is causing your phone not to update properly. As another poster has already said, there are 60 total Android updates available for the most current version of this phone software for the UMX u673c phone.

Out of these 60 updates, the phone only receives four of them. Only four. This means that all the security updates that are necessary to protect your phone are purposefully not being downloaded. Once again, at the risk of repeating myself a third time, there is a custom ROM that has been installed on some of these phones and that custom ROM comes with a lot of security risks.

The only way to fix the issue is to restore the phone to the original ROM that it has from the factory. But there is no such original ROM available online for download, unfortunately.
Enthusiast

And just so everyone knows. My personal experience is that I have seen these pop-up ads that get in the way of what you are doing which happens every hour. I have also seen the ads that pop up in the notification bar.

It does not concern me much about being able to get rid of the ads. It concerns me more about the security risk that is going on and the fact that there is actually malware built into the custom ROM which is installed on some of these phones. This is preventing proper security updates from being downloaded on purpose.

Because of this fact, I am sending back the phone that I ordered on eBay a couple of weeks ago and I have already let the seller know of this issue and I referred them to this forum as proof that I cannot use this phone.

So my suggestion is, if you are still able to return the phone to whomever you bought it from, you need to do so immediately. Because this problem is completely unfixable. Just because you don't notice any strange behavior anymore because you think that you have spotted the apps which is causing it and have disabled them, that does not mean that there are not problems in your phone.

Things are going on in the background due to malware that you cannot see. I repeat, you cannot see everything that is going on in the background. Because of the fact... the proper security updates are not being downloaded to your phone.

The malware is preventing it from doing so in the background, this means that something can be recording your information such as passwords and other info by taking screenshots or key logging what you type into the keyboard. You can never tell. But it is definitely possible. So you should return this phone if you can.

Also, not everyone who has this phone is experiencing these problems. It is a certain version of custom ROM that is been installed on some of these phones, mainly the replacement phones that someone orders when something has happened to their original one. The original phones did not have this problem because they have the real (original) factory installed ROM on them.
Enthusiast

It won't let me edit. It's called sound recorder
Enthusiast

Its called sound recorder. This page won't let me edit the comments
Enthusiast

The app is called sound recorder. The page won't let me update my comment.
Enthusiast

Ok I deactivated App by app. I have discovered the sound recorder carries ads Mainly the ads everyone is complaining about. Also v8 app is useless. That can be deactivated too. Then I downloaded a avg antivirus pro. So far no more ads. My assurance wireless is a ANS phone. It Has no gallery. I am most certain it is the sound recorder red app that carried the ads.
Master

It seems you people from Virgin Mobile dont read ALL THE COMMENTS FROM OTHER VIRGIN MOBILE PEOPLE and our replies that they are NEVER EVER USEFUL. A pile of dog poo is more useful than Virgin Mobile/Assurance customer service.

Master

My phone came straight from Assurance and I saw right away what a piece of crap it was and did not add any apps, so it is Assurance's ROM that is causing it.