Virgin Mobile

Any systematic problems with Assurance Wireless ANS UL40 phone?

SOLVED
Enthusiast

Any systematic problems with Assurance Wireless ANS UL40 phone?

I suffered for about 1 year at the hands of the factory installed malware on my Assurance Wireless Unimax (UMX) U673C (documented here).  I am ready to just purchase another Assurance Wireless smartphone.  The current phone available is the ANS UL40.  If you have a ANS UL40 on the government Lifeline plan (or otherwise) and are experiencing unsolved problems (about pop ups, malware, or anything else), please reply here so that I (and others) can be informed about the ANS UL40.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Re: Any systematic problems with Assurance Wireless ANS UL40 phone?

Here is a video about malware on the UL40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3kaYtGdojc

The woman has such a positive attitude that she is happy she only has "a little" malware.

8 REPLIES

Hey there, 5ubtle! Sorry for the confusion. Are you needing a new device?

Do you have a Virgin Mobile or Assurance Wireless account?

Enthusiast

@VMU_MasielQ wrote:

Hey there, 5ubtle! Sorry for the confusion. Are you needing a new device?

Hello VMU representative.  If you can tell the community why several people had factory installed malware (which results in endless popups) on the UMX U673 on Assurance Wireless, then I would like your help.  If you can't answer that question, then I do not need any assistance from any VMU representative.  Look at the link in my first post.  My phone behaved just as described by others in that link.

Enthusiast

Nobody has voiced any complaints about the UL40, so that may be a good sign.  On the other hand, maybe nobody here even has the UL40.

Do you have the ANS UL40 on Assurance Wireless, and you think that it is problem free?  Let us know.

Enthusiast

Well apparently nobody here has any experience with the ANS UL40 phone.  I will just stay with my Unimax U673C since the community has (at least partially) figured out how to make it usable.

I also want to say that I think that it is a shame that Virgin Mobile would allow malware to come preinstalled on its Assurance Wireless phones.  I am thankful that VM is willing to participate in the government Lifeline phone program for poor people (and I am thankful to have the phone), but I they should be ashamed of this malware issue.  Hopefully, VM simply purchased cheap phones and was unaware of the problem.  It would be reprehensible if VM received income for the ad revenue created by the malware.

Agent

Hi there, 5ubtle! Although we understand your request, please contact Assurance Wireless at (888) 898-4888 for assistance. Thank you.

Enthusiast

@jeffc wrote:

Hi there, 5ubtle! Although we understand your request, please contact Assurance Wireless at (888) 898-4888 for assistance. Thank you.

Hello VMU representative.  As I stated earlier, if you can tell the community why several people had factory installed malware (which results in endless popups) on the UMX U673 on Assurance Wireless, then I would like your help.  If you can't answer that question, then I do not need any assistance from any VMU representative.  Look at the link in my first post.  My phone behaved just as described by others in that link.  Even after disabling the Gallery app (which is the primary source of the pop ups), my phone continues to install apps (mostly games) without asking for permission at the rate of about 1 per week.  The phone is usable now (with the Gallery app disabled), but it is still aggravating.

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Here is a video about malware on the UL40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3kaYtGdojc

The woman has such a positive attitude that she is happy she only has "a little" malware.