Virgin Mobile

Any systematic problems with Assurance Wireless ANS UL40 phone?

SOLVED
Heavy Hitter

Re: Any systematic problems with Assurance Wireless ANS UL40 phone?

Hi deucesolo,

My advice is for you to get a "non smartphone" from Assurance Wireless.  I had a "non smartphone" for about 3 years and it worked great (no problems at all).  I wanted the features of the smartphone (emailing, gps, internet access), so I switched to my UMX smartphone.  My UMX smartphone has been a PITA for me since day 1.  I have stayed with the smartphone because I do like the features, but it has been aggrevating, and I had to spend a lot of time figuring out how to make it work.

My old "non smartphone" was the "Kyocera JAX S1360".  If that is still available, get it and you will have a dependable phone.

Quote: "Not sure why Virgin Mobile will associate themselves with a problematic phone, then share it with us!"

I agree.  Best case is that VM just bought the cheapest phones they could find since they don't get paid much by the government for the "lifeline" phones.  I worry that (worst case) VM gets a kickback for passing out phones like mine that contain malware and somebody is stealing private information like credit card information.  If you do keep the smartphone, I recommend that you never perform any business transactions on it.

Agent

Hello, deucesolo. The current Assurance Wireless replacement device is the ANS UL40. Contact them at 800-321-5880 for further assistance.

Heavy Hitter

Hi deucesolo,

I just got done searching for the available Assurance Wireless "lifeline" phones on the internet.  They, apparently, no longer offer any "non smartphones".  I suggest that you call them and request a "non smartphone".  If they can't give you a "non smartphone", it may be time to try another "lifeline" phone provider.  As best as I can tell, all of their inexpensive smartphones are junk.

Another option would be to purchase one of their "higher end" smartphones, like a Samsung.  I have considered doing this.  It, however, makes me mad that Assurance Wireless will charge me $180 for a "Samsung Galaxy J3 Achieve LTE" which can be purchased elsewhere for as little as $70.  It is sad that Assurance Wireless (a phone carrier for poor people) gives us poor people only 2 options:

1) Receive a junk, almost useless, infuriating smartphone for free (or cheap).

2) Buy a "good quality" (not great quality) smartphone for "two times" it's value.

I'm sorry for your phone problems.  I have them too.  I have to admit that having a junk Assurance Wireless smartphone is better than having no phone at all.

Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies and research, it is better than nothing. I guess you can tell I'm aggravated, free or not. It seems when it rains it pours, especially dealing with the VA.  No doubt I'm grateful for having the free phone and the VA though.  Thanks again 5ubtle. 

D//S

Enthusiast

Thank You John J7.

Heavy Hitter

Sad to say, this too is another river to cross.  You will be fine.  You just might another gray hair, but you will be fine.  I wish you the best and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.

Heavy Hitter

I have to have a smartphone because my physicians contact me through MyChart app as well as a pharmacy app will ask me if I need to refill something. I used to volunteer at a non-profit Jazz Radio Station so I gotta keep up with my music.

Agent

Since you have an Assurance Wireless phone we recommend you contact Assurance Wireless. Please contact Assurance Wireless here or by calling at 888-321-5880. They'd be able to assist you. 

Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

Take that standard response to the corporate office. I am following the recommendation from corporate and Assurance Wireless since logging in on Assurance Wireless leads to the Virgin Mobile website. Understand?
Agent

We are a Virgin Mobile USA social care channel. We are not able to handle Assurance Wireless customer issues on this channel, please contact Assurance Wireless customer service at 1-888-321-5880 for assistance on this or send them a private message on their Facebook page.