Virgin Mobile

Assurance Wireless ANS UL40 - Pop Up Ads Interfere with Receiving Phone Calls

Enthusiast

Assurance Wireless ANS UL40 - Pop Up Ads Interfere with Receiving Phone Calls

I'm working with an Assurance Wireless ANS UL40. Pop Up Ads Interfere with Receiving Phone Calls.

The ads have a timeout, but it's long enough, and slow enough, that often the call is gone by the time we're through the entire process.

The ads block access to the phone keypad and function buttons (including the Home button).  They have a countdown timer of around 6 seconds. The close button is 3mm across, and put over an inch wide Install button for whatever malware it spams. Sometimes I can't answer calls, because the ads block *ALL* access to the function buttons until the timer has counted down.  The phone is so slow that the ads often take seconds just to start counting down.

What can be done to tame these ads?  Or get a reasonable malware free replacement phone?

Assurance Wireless customer service is useless. Assurance Wireless does not host a forum, everyone is lead here.

6 REPLIES 6
Agent

Re: Assurance Wireless ANS UL40 - Pop Up Ads Interfere with Receiving Phone Calls

Hello bnes. We'd recommend performing a factory reset on your device. You can do so by going to Settings > Backup and reset > Factory data reset. Keep in mind that this will delete everything from the phone. It is recommended that you perform a backup of anything that you wouldn't want to lose before doing it. 

Enthusiast

Re: Assurance Wireless ANS UL40 - Pop Up Ads Interfere with Receiving Phone Calls

Factory reset is useless: the ads are built in to this model phone.

Agent

Hi there. The ads would show up depending on the application that you are using or have open. Victor21

Enthusiast

Victor21 -- you seem to have zero experience with Assurance Wireless phones.  

These phones are supplied "free" as part of the lifeLine phone program.   The downside is they display advertisement popups very intrusively.   

Please research the topic, and talk with your team, so you can make on point comments when this issue comes up.  The Assurance Wireless phones use Sprint through Virgin Mobile.

Agent

Thank you so mush for confirming that one for us. In this case as you are knowledgeable of the Assurance service, note, the ads could not be tamed. The ANS UL40 is the current available phones for replacements and applications.

Whiz Kid

I got a bit of relief from the malware on the ANS UL40.  I had disabled most applications, so one by one, I re-enabled an application, cleared the cache, and then once again disabled it, until all the caches were clear.  I also uninstalled or disabled (can't remember now which one) the recorder app and I disabled the public game app, I think it was called P 7 or PS or P something, which I think were the major sources of the malware.    The phone wouldn't allow me to uninstall the game app.  And I downloaded Malabytes for Android for free from Google play.  I also disabled Facebook apps and most google apps.  That seemed to help.  I once got more malware but did the same thing and it was okay after that, until I broke the screen.  Now I am in the process of swapping to the UMAX 683.  The most important thing you should do, though, is to file a quick online complaint with your attorney general's office and the FCC. The FCC may ignore you but the AG won't, and most AGs are required to investigate if they get a certain number of complaints. I heard that in Massachusetts they're required to do an investigation once they've received 25 complaints, although they can do one at any time. AGs can sue the company if they aren't satisfied that the company has remedied the situation, and so companies usually comply pretty quickly.  I know in Massachusetts you can file a complaint online.  The malware made it impossible for me to use my phone and I had a screaming fit practically with customer service for Assurance Wireless, because they demanded I call them from a different phone so that they could reprogram mine, and I didn't have a different phone or anyone who could lend me theirs. Good luck. Cindy