Virgin Mobile

Cannot receive or send mms messages.

Highlighted
Whiz Kid

Cannot receive or send mms messages.

I have an LG Stylo 2 and I use Textra as my messaging app. A couple of days ago my phone ran some updates, Textra included, and now I cannot get or send mms messages. 

I have tried everything I could think of or find on Google and nothing has worked. I do not have Mobile Data. I only use wifi and it has never been a problem (I don't know why every solution I have found says you have to have mobile data.)

I have tried (not in this order);

- A soft reset

-Reseating the SIM card

-Updating everything (PRL, Profile, Software, etc)

- Restarting my phone more times than I can count

- Checking Network settings

-Clearing all CASHE (including partition)

- Switching between the built in messaging app and textra (I was able to get mms through the built in app)

- I made sure all of the settings were set so Textra was drawing over other apps

- I uninstalled and reinstalled Textra

- I tried to do something with APN but my APN page does nothing but show a few grayed out things

- A Textra message online said it was some sort of Firmware bug in Android 7.0, but I didn't have the problem until Textra updated.

-And there were probably a few more things I tried that I can't remember.

I get messages like:

(Can't get MMS: No MMS connection) 

(Failed to Send MMS)

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to fix this or do I have to wait for the bug to work itself out in future updates?

Thank you,

Kakool101

1 REPLY 1
Whiz Kid

Re: Cannot receive or send mms messages.

I had the same problem but I could send MMS messages but I could not receive them or group texts.  I contacted Textra and this is what they told me after trying other apps and having the same problem:

As part of a greater Google initiative to ensure all apps are compiled against a later version of Android (API 26) from 1 Nov 2018, all apps must comply.

For Textra users, this means the following features had to be removed in order to comply:

1) Notification Icons can only be white (unless you are running Android KitKat or below)

2) The Legacy MMS option in Textra is no longer possible (due to underlying Android APIs no longer being available). This means that using WiFi for MMS typically no longer works (e.g. Sprint, Verizon) and the T-Mobile WiFi fix feature is also no longer possible. You are welcome to try other Google Play SMS/MMS apps, like QKSMS and Pulse SMS and you'll get the same issue as you do in Textra if trying to use MMS over WiFi.

3) Android now raises the LED blink (as opposed to Textra directly), this means you need to ensure your Textra Settings > Customize Notifications > Wake up Screen = No (as some phones won't show the LED if the screen is lit).

Please understand these are not features we wanted to remove (why would we?), but we had no choice.

You can always downgrade to v3.50 (the last version of Textra without these Google changes) but remember you'll never get another update again or any bug fixes. Understood? 

1) Uninstall Textra
3) Turn off auto-updates for Textra in Google Play

Textra SMS Team

I followed the instructions and now Textra is working for me again.   I don't have mobile data either so I am hoping this will work for you.  I made an account here so that I could help you the way Textra helped me. Just remember to make note of all your settings before deleting Textra.  It will make the reinstall easier but I'm sure you know this because you, like me, had already tried reinstalling Textra from Google Play Store.