Virgin Mobile

Do I need a sim card?

Whiz Kid

Do I need a sim card?

So I bought a refurbished Samsung Galaxy s5 after my s3 just stopped working. After activation i can send and receive calls but only receive SMS messages. Ive been told multiple different things from virgim mobile representatives and after being on the phone for 2 hrs with no resolve i was told to just wait 2-3 days for it to work itself out. Really dont want to wait if i just need to go to the store to buy a SIM card. Ive been on virgin networks now for 14 years and never once have needed a sim card. Is this sometime new, can anyone give me any real answers
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Do I need a sim card?

Hey there, Mmickewitz! We’ll get you all sorted out. Where did you purchase the new device?

Whiz Kid

Amazon

Oh, I see! Virgin Mobile does not accept bring your own devices, except for iPhones that are CDMA compatible. We apologize.

Whiz Kid

I was told it was a tower update and that once the tower is done updating my sms should work. Idk why but i feel like i was just being fed a line

We understand your concern, Mmickewitz, and we apologize.

Whiz Kid

My galexy s3 was a sprint phone same as this galexy s5. How do i fix this problem? And why if this phone is not compatible can i still make and receive calls and still receive text messages
Highlighted

Oh, I see! Some devices can be activated, but not all functions will work, this is why we rather not activate devices like this. This is your case. We can try troubleshooting to see if anything changes, though. Can you please send me a private message with your phone number and PIN?

To send me a private message, please click on my username and select to send a private message.