Virgin Mobile

Invalid SIM / SIM card locked / Unable to detect SIM

SOLVED
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Invalid SIM / SIM card locked / Unable to detect SIM

hello- i would like to begin this message with a hearty "what the heck is going on here".

today at about 3 PM with absolutely no prior warning, my phone just started giving me every single one of those three error messages. invalid SIM, SIM card locked- please power cycle, and unable to detect SIM- restarting phone to check for SIM, etc. there has been no trauma to the phone, nor any updates have been installed. i have a samsung j7 device, and have wiped the cache memory via the android troubleshooting screen, as well have removed the SIM card repeatedly, wiped it off, power cycled, etc. i have also attempted to put a small piece of tape on the SIM card itself for better fit. no dice. any help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Enthusiast

Re: Invalid SIM / SIM card locked / Unable to detect SIM

Update: Ended up getting a new SIM card after contacting Virgin Mobile customer support on Twitter. They said that they would have offered to send it to me, but they were out of stock and recommended to go to a Sprint store to pick up a SIM kit. So, after class, I went ahead and picked one up. I got it for free; it honestly wasn't a hassle at all. I just had to make sure that it was a compatible SIM kit for my device. After I got home, Virgin Mobile customer support had me text my number and my pin to a certain number, where they confirmed some details about the new SIM card. In my case, the process had a few complications due to some technical issues when actually applying the switch to the new SIM, but they were fixed within about two hours of troubleshooting. (Not active troubleshooting, really. Just sort of waiting for DMs on Twitter from Virgin Mobile customer support as to the next steps.)

My issue seems to be fixed now. Phone has been up and running without SIM card issues, and that would have been unthinkable the day before. The entire "down time" of the phone was a little over 26 hours, but it could have been resolved sooner if I didn't have work and class to attend. If anyone is reading this in the future with the same frustrating issue, this is exactly how it was solved for me. All hope is not lost. I will mark this answer as a solution in about 24 hours if I still have no issues.

Thanks to all of the Virgin Mobile customer support TMs who helped me out with this. It's much appreciated!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Agent

Hey there @chibitalex We apologize for the inconvenience. Are you using the SIM card that came with the device?

~JoyP.

Enthusiast

Hello @Joy1713,

I am using the original device's SIM card.
Agent

Would you please be so kind to send us a Private Message, so we can further assist you? @chibitalex

Enthusiast

PM'd. Will update in this thread in future with solution for future users with this issue.

Enthusiast

Update: Ended up getting a new SIM card after contacting Virgin Mobile customer support on Twitter. They said that they would have offered to send it to me, but they were out of stock and recommended to go to a Sprint store to pick up a SIM kit. So, after class, I went ahead and picked one up. I got it for free; it honestly wasn't a hassle at all. I just had to make sure that it was a compatible SIM kit for my device. After I got home, Virgin Mobile customer support had me text my number and my pin to a certain number, where they confirmed some details about the new SIM card. In my case, the process had a few complications due to some technical issues when actually applying the switch to the new SIM, but they were fixed within about two hours of troubleshooting. (Not active troubleshooting, really. Just sort of waiting for DMs on Twitter from Virgin Mobile customer support as to the next steps.)

My issue seems to be fixed now. Phone has been up and running without SIM card issues, and that would have been unthinkable the day before. The entire "down time" of the phone was a little over 26 hours, but it could have been resolved sooner if I didn't have work and class to attend. If anyone is reading this in the future with the same frustrating issue, this is exactly how it was solved for me. All hope is not lost. I will mark this answer as a solution in about 24 hours if I still have no issues.

Thanks to all of the Virgin Mobile customer support TMs who helped me out with this. It's much appreciated!

View solution in original post