Virgin Mobile

J3 Emerge Highest android ver possible?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Whiz Kid

J3 Emerge Highest android ver possible?

I enjoy my J3 Emerge but 20190815 Schwab updated app and android 6.0 is not compatible. What is highest version which can be pushed into SM-J327P.  Currently have: 6.0.1; J327PVPU4ARJ2; J327P.03.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Whiz Kid

Re: J3 Emerge Highest android ver possible?

And, the last update.

Schwab let me know that Android OS minimum is 9.7 to take advantage of all security features in app update. So, I will be using the website on the phone not the app. It's slower, I already have stops on all positions and I'm thrifty (no new phone). Smiley Happy

And, Virgin and Samsung, fwiw, nobody answered my question in thread subject line. Instead, the unspoken answer, "we will give you the version we want, when we want, and, if you want something else figure it out for youself" was very clear.

That's what I did.

6 REPLIES 6
Agent

Hey there, @platastar987! We'd recommend you contact Samsung support at 800-726-7864 for assistance. 

Whiz Kid

Hi JohnJ7,

Thank you for the response - Actually, that is where I started after IT at Schwab and I won't bore you with the timelines and screencaps of the chats with both Samsung UK and Samsung USA. This experience is wearing on me and my perceptions of the CS experience with Samsung are to the point I may not buy another Samsung product.

JohnJ7, I'm new on the BB here so when your avatar says "Agent" are you an employee of Virgin? You see, Samsung told me to contact the carrier. Now you, if you work for Virgin, are telling me to contact Samsung. Virgin is now being drawn into the progressively negative Customer Service recusive loop of not answering a simple question, What is the highest version of Android which can be pushed (loaded) into the J3 Emerge model?

I understand the propriatry nature of manufacturers' OSs  modified to make products obsolete. Yet, Virgin sells a J3 with Oreo. And, Yes, I know they have different CPUs (Emerge:Achieve) and different firmware. I have read the information. This is why I am here asking the question. Is a J3 a J3 because of the software or just the form factor?

Can/will someone please just say, "We want your $80 for the J3 Achieve. We can't/won't upgrade your J3 Emerge beyond Anroid 6.0.1."

My research and interactions have consumed hours over the past few days because I use this very economical mobile and Virgin Plan to earn income. I wish to continue. Can my Virgin J3 Emerge phone receive and work with an upgrade, or no, not now, ever. If I need to change phones I need to know. The sooner the better. Thanks.

Whiz Kid

I would like to add I'm not playing "Gotcha" but I am aware the firmware of the J3 Emerge can be upgraded to newer versions of Android. 

Agent

Thank you for replying! We don't really have information about the latest version for your device, but you can check if there is a new version by doing a Manual Software Update for that device.

Whiz Kid

Thanks,  the current update is loaded on the phone as of Fall 2018. 

Whiz Kid

And, the last update.

Schwab let me know that Android OS minimum is 9.7 to take advantage of all security features in app update. So, I will be using the website on the phone not the app. It's slower, I already have stops on all positions and I'm thrifty (no new phone). Smiley Happy

And, Virgin and Samsung, fwiw, nobody answered my question in thread subject line. Instead, the unspoken answer, "we will give you the version we want, when we want, and, if you want something else figure it out for youself" was very clear.

That's what I did.