Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

Re: LG X Charge: Unable to install all contents. 1 code: 400

Who am I responding to in PM?

I'm not seeing any new PM post.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello all, I was invited to this thread by @hamberfim. Thanks for the invite.  As someone mentioned, I am the Community Manager for Sprint, Boost, and Virgin.  I am the same, but the agents are not same.  

Background to what is happening.  The Sprint ID/Mobile ID is what tells the phone what kind of phone it is, meaning what brand.  In the past, we had to buy Sprint phones, Virgin phones, and Boost phones from the manufacturer.  Now we can just by phones period.  When the phone activates, it pings the server and asks, "What kind of phone am I?" and the server will say, "You are a Virgin phone" and then all the branding gets installed.  The Mobile ID handles that.  So, all the Virgin Mobile apps, branding, etc. gets installed.  

What we see with this error is a couple of things.  Roaming and poor coverage can cause the device to not get answered by the server and it keeps trying to "phone home".  Or this would happen in an affiliate market, markets, where we rent service from that, appears as Sprint on your device, but in reality, it's roaming. As a result, the server does not answer.

Now, this popped up in Samsungs recently and we ran the gauntlet of Force Stopping, clear data, clear cache, etc.  The most successful at the time was restricting background of the app (Settings, Apps, 3 Dot upper right, Show system apps, Mobile ID, Mobile Data, Restrict background data, Always, Back out.)  After an investigation, we noticed the affected devices were stuck in purgatory.  As a result, we recommended performing ##BRAND# on the device.  This forces the device to reach out to the server again and ask what kind of phone it is currently.  The success rate increased way more than blocking background data but was not foolproof.  At the point, we recommended to factory reset the device.  This achieves choose items.  1) It deletes any corruption in data and 2) It forces the server ping.

From my experience, the factory reset has worked 100% when the customer has wifi turned off and is within good Sprint coverage.  I've seen in this thread where folks said they hard reset their device, while others refused to do so.  This issue just popped up again on the Sprint side this week after the Oreo software was released for the LG G6 and a hard reset resolved the issue.  For those who say they have hard reset their device and it does not work, I ask to make sure you are in good coverage and not connected to wifi.  From what I've seen, Samsungs and LG so far with this issue. However, no reports of the X Charge on the Sprint side which is weird.  Same phone, same software.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello all, I was invited to this thread by @hamberfim. Thanks for the invite.  As someone mentioned, I am the Community Manager for Sprint, Boost, and Virgin.  I am the same, but the agents are not same.  

Background to what is happening.  The Sprint ID/Mobile ID is what tells the phone what kind of phone it is, meaning what brand.  In the past, we had to buy Sprint phones, Virgin phones, and Boost phones from the manufacturer.  Now we can just by phones period.  When the phone activates, it pings the server and asks, "What kind of phone am I?" and the server will say, "You are a Virgin phone" and then all the branding gets installed.  The Mobile ID handles that.  So, all the Virgin Mobile apps, branding, etc. gets installed.  

What we see with this error is a couple of things.  Roaming and poor coverage can cause the device to not get answered by the server and it keeps trying to "phone home".  Or this would happen in an affiliate market, markets, where we rent service from that, appears as Sprint on your device, but in reality, it's roaming. As a result, the server does not answer.

Now, this popped up in Samsungs recently and we ran the gauntlet of Force Stopping, clear data, clear cache, etc.  The most successful at the time was restricting background of the app (Settings, Apps, 3 Dot upper right, Show system apps, Mobile ID, Mobile Data, Restrict background data, Always, Back out.)  After an investigation, we noticed the affected devices were stuck in purgatory.  As a result, we recommended performing ##BRAND# on the device.  This forces the device to reach out to the server again and ask what kind of phone it is currently.  The success rate increased way more than blocking background data but was not foolproof.  At the point, we recommended to factory reset the device.  This achieves choose items.  1) It deletes any corruption in data and 2) It forces the server ping.

From my experience, the factory reset has worked 100% when the customer has wifi turned off and is within good Sprint coverage.  I've seen in this thread where folks said they hard reset their device, while others refused to do so.  This issue just popped up again on the Sprint side this week after the Oreo software was released for the LG G6 and a hard reset resolved the issue.  For those who say they have hard reset their device and it does not work, I ask to make sure you are in good coverage and not connected to wifi.  From what I've seen, Samsungs and LG so far with this issue. However, no reports of the X Charge on the Sprint side which is weird.  Same phone, same software.

Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

Em_Will_I_Am

Community Manager  Community Manager

Community Manager

Thanks you so much for going over the details. This gives me some clarity.

I'll find a spot with the strongest network signal, turn off wifi and do the hard reset again.

Thanks again. Smiley Very Happy 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Let me know, success or failure.

Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

will do...

Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

Hard Reset. The signal was using five bars with LTE.

It failed.

Same error as before but here is something new. Normally the cycling download is just files called "core pack, Default, wallpapers, NextRadio, Playphone, and Uber".

This time there was additional apps called "Wish" and candy crush that never got installed before so the full payload that initially supposed to be installed isn't making it.

Smiley Sad

Heavy Hitter

😢
Highlighted
Enthusiast

I too have a LG X Charge with this issue.  My solution is not a fix but a workaround, however after watching people burn through data I figure I would share.  You can download a firewall app I'm using NetGuard, but there are many app options out there if you would rather try something else.  It sets up a VPN that loops-back to the phone enabling it to see all outgoing network connections.  Once it has set this up you can selectively prevent apps from accessing the outside world via both wifi and data.  Since using this option Mobile ID has ceased its ongoing attempts to download apps/branding because it can't connect to do so.  This will stay in place even after hard resets.  Now installing an app to fix a different app is not desirable and by the very nature of the app the permissions can worry some people.  I just wanted to share my workaround until Sprint/Virgin Mobile can push out a more permanent fix. 

Highlighted
Whiz Kid

I downloaded NewGuard, but Mobile ID does not show up on the app list so I can't deny it wifi/data access.