Virgin Mobile

Moto G6 Play: Black/white square glitch

SOLVED
Enthusiast

Moto G6 Play: Black/white square glitch

The G6 Play has a kernel bug that causes the display to flash black or white squares briefly on the screen. I've sent logs to Motorola and no one has done anything or responded.
The problem...
Our boot.img kernel thinks that the phone has an 8 core CPU, when it doesn't. What happens? The kernel sends a request to surface flinger, which then attempts to draw the screen on core 4, 5, 6, or 7. These cores do not exist! Surface flinger then reports an error, that there is no response or power from cores 4-7. The screen shows black/white squares as surface flinger attempts to redraw the screen on cores 4-7, and stops when it cycles back to core 0.

Why isn't anyone fixing this, and who do I need to talk to about this? I'm an android developer by the way, this is why I was able to figure this out.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Enthusiast

Re: Moto G6 Play: Black/white square glitch

The Android 9.0 update has solved all of my devices software problems. You folks at virgin should hurry up and release update build PCP29.118-2, it is working flawlessly.

For anyone wondering, a nice guy on XDA captured the update from Boost Mobile and gave it to me. I flashed it through ADB and my device is working like it's brand new. Updates for Boost Mobile's Moto G6 Play will also work on the Virgin Mobile variant. If anyone needs help with this find our device forum on xda.
11 REPLIES 11
Agent

Appreciate you letting us know, Modhatter. You can contact Motorola's customer service here https://support.motorola.com/us/en/contactus. 

Enthusiast

I've already sent logs to Motorola, and they've done nothing. Also, the link you gave is invalid. Again, who do I need to send these logs to? This is as much your responsibility, as it is Motorola's. You are selling this device with defective software. Please respond accordingly. Your answer was not in any way helpful.
Agent

Sorry to hear, Modhatter. We don't manufacture any Device that we might sell to you or that is associated with our Services, and we aren't responsible for any defects, acts, or omissions of the manufacturer. The only warranties on your Device are the limited warranties given to you by the manufacturer directly or that we pass through. Device performance may vary based on device specifications (for example, a device's software, memory, and storage), and device performance may impact access to all of our Services.   

Please try the following link https://support.motorola.com/us/en.

Enthusiast

Yes, you are responsible. Just because you didn't manufacture it, does not exclude you from this. If you intentionally sell a product that is defective for any reason, the responsibility falls on you to correct it. This is a Virgin Mobile branded Moto G6 Play. It runs your software, in addition to Motorola's. Since you're selling a Motorola device, you as a company should be contacting them to have this corrected immediately. I have saved this conversation. Expect to see it on reddit, twitter, and any other social media you can think of. You should expect a report to the Better Business Bureau as well. This is likely the worst response from a company regarding a defective product that I've even seen.
Enthusiast

This issue has still not been resolved. Motorola told me to contact my carrier... Which is you guys. What now, small claims court? I want my money back. It's been over 2 months since I brought this issue up to Motorola, and a month since your company was notified. Nothing has been done by either of you.
Agent

We understand your concern, Modhatter. This is a hardware issue. You'll need to contact Motorola for assistance. Click here.

Enthusiast

This is not a hardware issue. I don't know how many times I need to say this. It's a software issue. Would you like to read the kernel logs? Would you like me to point out exactly where this is in the kernel source code? Because I know where it is and I will happily do so. Motorola's developers state within the source code for this device, that the shims need to be removed before release and rewritten properly. You can even find that message in the build.prop of the system partition as well.
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Here's the Moto G6 Play boot image loaded into a hex editor.

Screenshot_20190217-131847.png

As you can clearly see, 8 cores (0-7) are defined inside the boot.img, which is part of the software. I'm not lying. Look for yourself. This causes the problem. It is not hardware related. This is your Moto G6 Play xt1922-7 boot.img with the Jan. 2019 security patches by the way.

Enthusiast

Here's a snapshot of the kernel log. You can again, see the error is software related. It stems from kernel cpu speed reader. The errors with cores 4-7 cause a temporary screen off then the device is immediately woken back up. The kernel which is inside the boot image, which is %100 software, expects cores 4-7 to exist.

Screenshot_20190122-133228.png