Virgin Mobile

Move or download to SD card instead of phone.

Heavy Hitter

Move or download to SD card instead of phone.

Have a ZTE Tempo X and started having storage issues. Inserted a SD card. But can not move apps or download to the SD card. Does not give me the option to pick SD card. storage location shows phone. It's grayed out and can't find where to change it. How do I move apps or download to SD card? How do I fix my storage problem. No room to add new apps or update.
11 REPLIES 11
Agent

Re: Move or download to SD card instead of phone.

Hello @kdcain. Which software are you using? Marshmallow, Nougat? 

~JoyP.

Heavy Hitter

It's 7.1.1 Nougat OS.
Agent

Hey there! Some apps can't be moved to the SD card. What apps have you tried to move? Or, is it grayed out for all the apps? 

Heavy Hitter

Thank you for your help. I know some won't move but even when I try to download a app it does not give me the option at all. I was only able to move photos and videos. I can't even update anything. I hate to start over but do I need to factory reset my phone?
Agent

Unfortunately, on Android you cannot set the SD card as your default location to install apps, you have to do this manually every time you install an app. You will only be able to move apps which are specifically designed to allow being moved to an SD card. To free up space on your phone, you can try uninstalling apps that you no longer use. 

Heavy Hitter

Thank you but when I first got my phone, I uninstalled a few apps that I did not want or would not use. I have only downloaded one weather app. I tried to update my apps and it says I need to clear up storage space. Only thing would be pictures. I moved them to the SD card. There is no option to download to the SD card. Ok well thank you. Guess I am stuck till I buy a better phone.
Agent

We're sorry but applications are installed on the internal memory by default. You will not be able to set the microSD card as your default location. @kdcain

Heavy Hitter

Thanks
Master

Go into settings>about phone>software info

tap "Build number" 7 times

go back to settings>developer options

under the subsection APPS, there should be an option to "force allow apps on external" that should un-gray a few buttons.