Virgin Mobile

New (international) SIM not working on Unlocked J7

Highlighted
Whiz Kid

New (international) SIM not working on Unlocked J7

Hi friends -- 

I am currently abroad in Italy and had someone in the US talk to Virgin to have my phone unlocked so that I can use a local SIM. The request went through and I got an email confirmation. Under "UICC Unlock" it says, "Your device is unlocked for any SIM card.". 

I inserted the SIM card but I get no service. I went back to the cell provider and asked them for assistance but they told me that the SIM was functional (they tested it in another phone) and that my phone had the right settings (they added an APN), but that the phone wasn't 'completely' unlocked or the branding was inhibiting their card from working. I had someone in the US verify that my phone was unlocked and they confirmed and mentioned that the cell provider might need to "install a carrier" on the phone for it to work, but, I'll remind you that the local provider insisted that I didn't need anything else for the new SIM to work. I'm in an international study group of about 60 people all who purchased the same plan from the provider and had no issues. 

I've tried using the update profile, update PRL, and UICC unlock functions both with the old SIM and the new SIM to no avail.

Under SIM card status, it says:
Network - Unknown
Signal Strength - -113 dBm 0 asu
Mobile network type - Unknown
Service state - Out of service
Roaming - Not roaming
Mobile network state - Disconnected

For reference, my phone is a Samsung J7 (SM-J700P). 

Please advise! 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: New (international) SIM not working on Unlocked J7

Sorry to hear that, swils105. Though was your device overseas when you requested the device to be unlocked?

Whiz Kid

Yes, it was. I had no cell service but I was connected to Wifi. 

Agent

We understand. Unfortunately, in order to be unlocked the phone must be within our coverage area. The unlocking process is done over the air, and it currently may not work through Wifi. 

Whiz Kid

So my phone is not unlocked even though it says it's unlocked? 

Edit: I will add that when I initially tried to change the SIM at the carrier store before unlocking it, my phone said, "Invalid SIM". After I was notified that it was unlocked, the phone no longer says invalid SIM, it just says "Emergency calls only..." and has no service. There definitely has been a change, so if it was not unlocking my phone, what was it? 

Furthermore, both representatives my contact in the US talked to insisted that it didn't need service to be unlocked, but needed to be connected to Wi-Fi, which it was. There seems to be inconsistencies in the way your department understands this process.

Agent

The system will already recognize the phone as unlocked, and if the phone were to enter our coverage area it would be unlocked right away. However, since the phone has not connected to our network, the update that is sent over the air can not reach the device itself. 

Whiz Kid

1. Can you explain why my phone says it's unlocked? It obviously received something "through the air". 2. Could you guarantee that if I ship my phone to the US, have it turned on and shipped back that it will work with the local network?
Agent

If the phone itself says that is is unlocked, then it is ready, although our phones do not usually show it on the settings, or anywhere else. It is not possible to guarantee that it will work. Our phones were made to work with our network, and while we understand that you may want to unlock them to use them on other carriers or countries, we do not provide services outside of the Virgin Mobile plans, and we do so within the United States. Even if your phone is successfully unlocked while in the US, even some local carriers may be unable to use the phone with their network. In other words, we do not guarantee that unlocking your phone will mean that you can use it anywhere else, other companies may have different policies that may include not accepting the phone. If your phone was successfully unlocked, and it still can not be activated, then it simply is not compatible with the carrier that you are attempting to activate it with.