Virgin Mobile

Saving apps to a SD card LG Stylo 5

Whiz Kid

Saving apps to a SD card LG Stylo 5

I just got a LG Stylo 5 and installed a brand new SD card. The only thing that is going to the card are photos.

I did go into settings and try to move a downloaded app but there is not even the option to send it to the card.

What am I doing wrong???  So Frustrated!!

11 REPLIES 11
Agent

Re: Saving apps to a SD card LG Stylo 5

Hi there! Apps are installed to the internal memory by default, and can not be installed on SD cards. Some apps allow you to move their files to the SD card to save space, but ultimately the internal storage space is always used. The option will not show for every app, but you can move the ones that do by going to Settings > Apps > All. You need to check the apps one by one and select the option on each app individually (on those that it is shown).

Whiz Kid

Hi Edmund. Thanks for the reply.

I do understand that all apps cannot be moved to the card. The apps I want to move are apps that I have downloaded and were able to be moved on my old LG phone such as JetBlue, Bitmoji, Whitenoise...so sorts of things.

I have followed the steps you have outlined and I have been scouring YouTube to make sure I was doing the right thing, and there is no option to move the apps on my phone. The only options are to "clear cache" and "clear data".

Is there a permission setting which allows the apps to be moved?

Thanks for any info!

Hey there, mcNJ! We were checking on the device's user guide, unfortunately it does not show where to transfer information to the SD card unless you place the SD card as the primary storage space.

Heavy Hitter

Open "settings > about phone > tap your build number 7x to enable the developer settings". Back up and find the developer options. For me it's under "settings > system > advanced > developer options". I have a different device though, so it might be a little different for you. Near the bottom of the developer options you'll see something like, "force allow apps on external" enable that. Then open the settings for the app in question, select "storage", and you'll have the option to move it to your external sdcard. Unless LG patched this out of stock Android, it should work for you.
Whiz Kid

Do you have any recommendations if that doesn't work because I just followed all your steps enabled the force save on the developer settings and it's still isn't showing up in the app storage tab. Are there any other options? This is extremely frustrating. I'm obviously not the original person that posted this but seems like a pretty common issue.
Whiz Kid

I'm still having this trouble even after following your instructions. I've been using the Stylo line since it first came out and as recently as a few weeks ago on the Stylo 4 was able to move files to the SD card. I just want to stick large game files there like I've done on the older Stylos for years. This is a serious disappointment if it's impossible.

Agent

Hi there mereprototype. If you have try the steps below and there's any issue while moving files, then you may try a third party app from Google Play store to help you manage internal memory. 

From a Home screen, navigate: Apps  > Tools  > File Manager.
Tap All files.
Tap Internal storage.
Tap the appropriate folder (e.g., Music, Pictures, Ringtones, etc.)
Select a file(s).
Tap Move or Copy  (located at the bottom).
Tap (check) the desired file(s).
Tap Copy (located in the lower-right).
Tap SD / Memory Card.
Navigate to the preferred folder then tap OK.

Heavy Hitter

Another option is to format your sdcard as adoptable storage. (LG might not have this option.) Go to "settings > storage & select the external SDcard" from there look for an option to format it. For me, I have to select a 3 dot menu in the top right corner to find it. I dont have your device so you might have to dig a little. Some devices show the format options immediately after selecting the sdcard though. If they kept it close to stock android you'll have two options buried in there somewhere, "format as portable" and "format as internal". (sometimes called format as adoptable) You want to format it as internal. If that doesn't work...

You can use adb. (Android debug bridge.) You'll need to enable debugging in your developer options first.

1. adb shell (hit enter)

2. sm list-disks adoptable (Hit enter, and you'll see the sdcard as disk:xxx,xx. For me it's "disk:179,64" Yours may be different.)

3. sm partition disk:179,64 (Hit enter. Make sure to use your disk number here. Just wait min and it'll be formatted as adoptable storage)

4. Reboot once it's done. Then navigate to settings > storage, and look for an option to "Migrate Data". After that you're done.

I hope that all makes sense. I apologise for the formatting of these instructions. I'm used to XDA's rich text editor. Hope this helps! 

Whiz Kid

So that would be a big fat NO!!!! on saving apps to the SD card. Any apps you have (facebook, amazon shopping, ebay, Instagram,etc) are all updating to your phones internal memory and cant be moved to the phone SD card. Which makes me wonder WTF were the engineers at LG thinking? I've had my Stylo 5 for 6 days, and Im shipping it back to virgin mobile, and exchanging it for a Stylo 4, which will let you move apps to the SD card. Pity cuz Stylo 5 is a pretty cool phone, except for the apps to SD card thing and not being able to remove the battery, another deal breaker for me. I like to replace my battery after a year. Good Luck