Tech help with unlocking Samsung J7 Perx

SOLVED
Enthusiast

Tech help with unlocking Samsung J7 Perx

Days ago, I requested a complete unlock on 2 Virgin Mobile phones (both Samsung J7s) that I own.  One of the unlocks has taken place, successfully.  When I check the settings, I am informed that it's unlocked and can be used with any SIM.  Thank you.

But, my second phone still displays the following message (SETTINGS, SYSTEM UPDATES, UICC UNLOCK): "Your device is locked to Sprint or international SIMs"

I've called customer service.  They've informed me that my phone is unlocked, but cannot explain why the message on my phone clearly states that it remains locked to Sprint. 

Some add'l troubleshooting steps I've taken:

1) restarted multiple times

2) updated PRL (multiple times)

3) downloaded and installed updates

4) updated profile (followed by restart)

5) updated UICC Unlock (followed by restart)

6) powered phone off, removed SIM chip for 8hrs, restarted phone

Earlier today, I opened a case with Virgin mobile (#85947332) and am posting here also in hopes of a speedy resolution to a simple request that should have been completed days ago.

Any help is appreciated.

Image of settings screen indicating that my phone is locked to Sprint:

Screenshot_20191226-194052_Settings.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Re: Tech help with unlocking Samsung J7 Perx

We've now exceeded 8 days...and yes, @JohnJ7 , you did reply to me, but you see, my phone is still locked.  I would prefer an unlock rather than receiving reasons why Virgin mobile hasn't completed the process.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Agent

Hi there Tedd01. Thanks for contacting us. We'll be happy to help. 

Please, send us a private message with the phone number and PIN to check the account. 

Highlighted
Agent

Thanks for the information. I've just asked for the cell phone's status and it's been confirmed that it's unlocked. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast

The phone is absolutely and 100% still locked to Sprint.  I ran another test this morning here is what I did.

1) I took my 2nd Samsung J7 that IS unlocked (in UICC Unlock it states that it's unlocked and can be used with ANY SIM).  This unlock request was made at the same time as the phone that states ("device is locked to Sprint")

2) I inserted a SIM card from another carrrier (PureTalk) into that 2nd Samsung J7 (the one that IS unlocked) and it works just fine.

3) When I insert that PureTalk SIM card into my phone that says ("device is locked to Sprint") that phone states INVALID SIM CARD.

My phone is clearly NOT unlocked.  Please advise on what Virgin mobile plans to do to unlock this phone completely.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Enthusiast

7 days and counting and my phone is still locked...

Yesterday, Virgin admitted its error in the process but told me it would take another 3-5 days to fix it on their end. 

I expressed my desire to for their team to expedite my unlock since the issues I've experienced are on their end.  They are not willing to speed things up.

This should be instructive to anyone considering switching to Virgin or staying with them...

Please fix my phone.

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Shortly after posting the above status and requesting that Virgin Mobile expedite my unlock request (again), I was informed that they have no plans to do anything outside of their normal process - which involves waiting up to an additional 5 days.

This contradicts statements made to me, yesterday, in a private message that I should "rest assured" that they'd do "everything in their power."  Apparently "everything" means that they don't really plan to do anything.

Highlighted
Agent

Hello Tedd01. We just replied to your private message.

Highlighted
Enthusiast

We've now exceeded 8 days...and yes, @JohnJ7 , you did reply to me, but you see, my phone is still locked.  I would prefer an unlock rather than receiving reasons why Virgin mobile hasn't completed the process.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Agent

Hey, Callastats! We definitely want to look into this for you. Please send us a private message with your phone number and PIN, and the MEID of the phone you want to unlock.

Highlighted
Agent

Sorry for the misunderstanding. All phones will be transferred to Boost mobile except BlackBerry phones.