Virgin Mobile

The Future of Android and Virgin Mobile USA

Virgin Mobile Alumni
Virgin Mobile Alumni

The Future of Android and Virgin Mobile USA

Virgin Mobile will continue to provide service and support for our existing Android customers and we have no plans to discontinue service or support to this valued group of our customer base. We’ll continue to provide plans, software updates, top-up cards, “My Account” access at virginmobileusa.com, and customer service, indefinitely.

Additionally, we will continue to sell Android phones on our website, through the fall of 2018. We'll support new Android phone purchases for new customers, and upgrades for existing customers, in national retail locations such as Walmart, Best Buy and Target, through the fall of 2018.

However, after the fall of 2018, Virgin Mobile will stop selling new Android phones. 

We’ve heard your concern about your ability to upgrade phones in the future and we appreciate your feedback.  We are currently working with our sister company Boost Mobile to provide competitive plans as an option for Virgin Mobile Android customers who want to purchase a new phone after we no longer sell them in the fall of 2018. 

As soon as we finish working with Boost Mobile on these new options made specifically for Virgin Mobile Android customers, we will update this post.

At this time, we do not support Bring Your Own  or “carrier-free” Android devices.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Found a helpful, funny or interesting post? Give it a “Kudo” to say thanks.
Did my reply answer your question? Hit “Accepted Solution” to help other Community members find it.
96 REPLIES 96
Jef
Whiz Kid

Re: The Future of Android and Virgin Mobile USA

I found it helpful but not comforting it still looks like I will eventually be having to change companies
Whiz Kid

This is dissapointing. We've been customers for years now, and have never even wanted to change providers. 

Whiz Kid

I will be changing companies also everone does not want an iphone
Enthusiast

This is ridiculous. iPhones are not for everyone and some myself included think they really suck. If you all do proceed as planned with no longer offering Android phones in future I will also be switching providers as others have noted. I have been a loyal VM cutomer for well over 10 years despite you all not always having the best service, desite you all not having local stores, etc, etc. Can not say much else other than that I really do hope that you all reconsider. 

Enthusiast

I needed to replace my android phone and was surprised when I went on the Virgin site and only saw I phones!  I searched and finally found the nearly hidden link for androids.  That's when I started researching what was up and learned from this forum that Virgin would only support androids through the middle of next year.  So, after being a long time Virgin customer, I'm disapointed to hear that I'm not the type of customer that Virgin wants. I bought my new Verizon phone today and will be switching carriers in a few days after many years with Virgin. I would encourage all disenfranchised Virgin customers to switch to a carrier other than Virgin or Boost, since they both have the same parent compant, Sprint. The last thing I want to do is financially support a company that so completely disregards a complete segment of their customer base.

Whiz Kid

Let's see if I understand this.  Virgin Mobile never bothered informing it's Android customers they were switching to all Iphones.  Then Virgin Mobile creates a gimmick called "Inner Circle" with deals only for Iphone users. 

Now, Virgin Mobile tells it's Android customers "Trust us.  We'll take care of you". 

Pardon me ......... Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Seriously?

I've been a Virgin Mobile customer for over 10 years.  Time to go elsewhere for my new Android and new phone plan.

Enthusiast

"We’ll continue to provide plans, software updates, top-up cards, “My Account” access at virginmobileusa.com, and customer service, indefinitely."

Does this mean that if I go out and buy a Galaxy S8 today I can stay on Virgin Mobile with my $35 plan as long as I have the phone? You said you will stop selling phones next fall. You didn't say you're going to discontinue service. Do I have that right? Just trying to understand the long term here.
Agent

Hey there, @A1gundam. That is correct. You will be able to keep your services as long as you have the phone.

Whiz Kid

I whole heartedly concur. My family, wife daughter have been customers for many years and with this news, my daughter has opted to switch to another carrier and purchased an Iphone. I want the LGV20 as I'm not a fan of  Apple products. I guess the road is narrowing and we will need to consider another company within the coming year. We stuck with VM and had not planned on leaving. Sadly the reality sets in. So much for being loyal to customers. Thumbs down VM.