Virgin Mobile

The Future of Android and Virgin Mobile USA

Enthusiast

Re: The Future of Android and Virgin Mobile USA

Wow!  I wish I would have known about all of this BEFORE I bought a new Samsung from ebay and tried to swap my phone.  Been a VM customer for probably 10 years and never had a problem swapping out to new phones.  I had no idea to check first and see if it would be a problem.  It took me 2 days of searching to find this post.  An email or text notifying us about the change in policy would have been nice!  

I sent an email to Customer Service the other day asking:   

"......I just received a refurb'd Samsung S7 that said it was a Virgin phone, but it has no SIM (so I need one).  BUT it looks like I can't activate that to my account anyway?  I have to switch to an Iphone or buy a new Android direct from your site if I need a new phone?  I just want to make sure I understand that. ...."

And the reply I recieved says: 
"I am really sorry to inform you, but we do only provide replacement SIM card to phones purchased with us or in an official retail store. Since you have purchase your phone from a different source, you will have to contact them and ask for the SIM card that was not included."

Based on that reply, it looks like I can get a SIM card and activate the phone.  But I don't believe it!  When I use your "check for eligibility" form on the VM site and enter the phones IMEI number, I get a reply "Sorry, currently only iPhones are eligible to transfer".  

I think the customer service person who answered my inquiry is wrong?  I'm so confused!  I'm already returning the phone I bought and just purchased a Verizon one.  Will be switching as soon as it arrives.  Reading this post and all the replies confirms my decision is the best one at this time.  
Enthusiast

Forgot to mention the email reply I received didn't even answer the actual questions I asked!  I wanted to know if I could activate/swap/use the new phone.  Not if I could get a SIM for it.  

Agent

Sorry to hear that @htur. Please send us a private message so we can check the IMEI number. 

Enthusiast

Huh.  Well, I already wiped it clean and it's packed up to return.  Based on the response about eligibility from the VM site, the cust service email, AND this and other posts - seemed like that was my only option.  And I've already paid for a Verizon phone. 

Buh bye VM! 

Agent

We're truly sorry to hear that @htur. If you have any other question or concern, just let us know.

Heavy Hitter

That was completely useless,but then I have come to expect that from virgin mobile.
Heavy Hitter

I rate as a master, because of all the time I've wasted trying to obtain basic service.

Enthusiast

I see that Android phones and plans are available again.  I think that this is a positive sign.

Enthusiast

Don't be too pleased. Most of the Androids are sold out. I've come across a few headlines from the Kansas City area which seem to indicate that VM is going thru layoffs. I have the feeling things aren't going to end well. They've been losing customers for a long time now. Hang on to your hats - it's gonna be a bumpy ride!

Enthusiast

I will hang on to my S7 until the bitter end . . . whenever that might be.