Virgin Mobile

We Still Love Our Android Users!

Highlighted
Virgin Mobile Alumni
Virgin Mobile Alumni

We Still Love Our Android Users!

EDIT - We've hear your concerns, and while we don't yet have specifics on how/when you use the option to move to Boost, we want to reassure you that nothing will happen to your service with Virgin mobile. Please see this post for an update, and reply if you have any questions.

-----------------

Last Wednesday, we announced the introduction of the Inner Circle—an iPhone-exclusive offer. While the Inner Circle plan has been met with great enthusiasm, Virgin Mobile Android customers, we hear your concerns and apologize for any confusion resulting from this new offer.

We intend to support our Android customers with both service and upgrades for the foreseeable future. If you’re a current Android customer, you’ll be able to access Android devices and services by signing into My Account. Online device upgrades for Android customers will be available through mid-2018. Additionally, we’ll support Android in national retail locations (Walmart, Best Buy, etc.) through the end of 2017.  We have no plans to discontinue wireless service or support for Android users.

We acknowledge that customers may be concerned about the ability to upgrade their Android device beyond mid-2018.  As such, we have partnered with our sister company, award-winning Boost Mobile.  Boost Mobile has, and will continue to offer, a robust selection of Android phones and uses the same great network as Virgin Mobile.  Later this year, we will offer our customers that prefer Android a simple, hassle-free way to switch over to Boost Mobile. Under this arrangement, most Virgin Mobile customers will be able keep their current plan and phone, or switch to any current Boost Mobile plan and phone, enjoy the same great network, and have access to all the latest and greatest Android phones now and in the future.  This offer will be completely optional to Virgin Mobile customers and will be available throughout all of 2018.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Found a helpful, funny or interesting post? Give it a “Kudo” to say thanks.
Did my reply answer your question? Hit “Accepted Solution” to help other Community members find it.
75 REPLIES 75

Re: We Still Love Our Android Users!

I'm not sure I've got this down to brass tacks but let me try. Someone at corporate decided that you weren't maximizing returns to investors and a decision was made to partner with Apple. This is a smart move as Apple is the cutting edge in this and evolving technologies. It looks good to potential customers who bought with another carrier and isn't comfortable with contracts. Here's where it gets a little sticky, to me. You used "foreseeable future " and I think we all know there's really no such thing. By the end of 2018, you can go to a nice, up to date Apple Store staffed with knowledgeable people or a 500 sq ft Boost mobile store if you want to stick with an android phone. I have an SE which I'm very happy with and I'm also quite content, for the foreseeable future with 5gb of data. At least until mid-2018 assuming all else remains the same. I don't believe it will.
Whiz Kid

I have always recommended Virgin to friends and family that have thought about changing their cell phones/plans. I think it's sad that you will, in essence, force all Android users to Boost. If we had wanted to sign up and use Boost, we would have from the beginning. There are some that prefer Android over Apple. I am one of those and mainly due the high cost of Apple products. I will be shopping for new services once forced to go to Boost.
Enthusiast

I have been a Virgin Mobile customer for over six years. I don't want to go to Boost. I would have liked to stay a Virigin customer. I don't feel loved; I feel shafted. Also, I  have recommended Virgin to many people over the years, and now I'm not going to because you've turned into a snotty, over-priced, Apple-only operation. Let's face it-- this is a pretty classist move. You only want people who can afford Apple. You know what else? Not only is Android more affordable, but I love Android and the Samsung phones I've had over the years. I hate Apple. I hate iOS. I hate that the apps I enjoy in the Android market are not available for the iPhone. I am thoroughly immersed in the Google ecosystem, and am not going to change that. So yeah, this is the first time in my life where I have been a loyal customer to a company, and I've had the company turn around and say, "No thanks, we don't really want you as our customer." Thanks a lot, Virign Mobile. Hope you've enjoyed my loyalty for the last six years, because that's over now. You clearly aren't loyal to users like me, so why should we be loyal to a company like you? 

Whiz Kid

I have been a Virgin Mobile customer for several years and am disappointed to discover, quite by accident, this very recent change. Why were customers not informed via email or text? 

I have recommended Virgin Mobile to many over the years and also have both of my daughters on a Virgin Mobile plan. They both have IPhones; oddly enough, they have more trouble getting a strong signal and loading data on their IPhones than I do with my mid-level Android. And we live in the DC suburbs, where the signal is strong.

It just so happened that my phone, a Galaxy J3, was recently stolen, so I purchased the Galaxy J7 Perx as a replacement just a week or more ago. Had I known about the upcoming change, I'm not sure I would have made the same decision. I understand that the main reason for the switch is to upgrade or remake the Virgin Mobile brand. Instead, it makes me think less of a company that doesn't value it's budget-minded customers. I understand that another reason for the switch is to make the customer service experience better since agents will only be dealing with one operating system. However, I've never once encountered a customer service agent who couldn't handle my issue with any Android phone and, in fact, have always thought you had great customer service.

I am disappointed by this unexpected change, even more disappointed that VM didn't communicate with its own customers about the change before it went into effect, and may need to shop around for another carrier at some point for myself and my family.

Sincerely,

Sonya 

Heavy Hitter

So, if I upgrade to the S7 through Virgin now, I will only have support from Virgin until mid 2018? After that, my contract gets switched to BOOST? If so, will I still be paying  the same amount per month I pay now?

To confirm, both Virgin and BOOST use the Sprint network?

I have always had a preference towards Android, but I am trying to keep an open mind.  It appears that I can either get the S7 through Virgin now or go for an iphone 6 through the new Virgin promotion.  I realize that thet two models are not identical, but is it safe to say tha the Galaxy S7 is one generation ahead of any version of the iphone 6?

Thanks.

Whiz Kid

You can make everyone happy with one simple change: Let people bring their own Sprint Android phones to Virgin Mobile.  IPhone users will be happy because VM is going in their direction. Android users will be happy because they can just buy a phone off the internet and use it with their VM account. When it's time to upgrade, Android users can just get the latest greatest phone on their own, and keep using it. The company will be happy because they're sticking to their iPhone-friendly plan, Shareholders will be happy because (insert whatever reasons you told them in the first place).  But what about support? Just tell people when they bring their own phone, you're on your own. Most of the people who get their own phones via the internet are probably a bit more savvy than the average person who calls for support.  

Just my $0.02

Chas

Virgin and Boost do both use Sprint signals so there's that.  As for comparing an Android to an iPhone, it's not really possible. The androids can have any of several operating systems and it's hard to say when they're updated. All the available iPhones run the same OS which gets updated at least once  (usually more) every year. Google is in charge of apps and most available "new" tech that's used with android phones and I would look at their commitment to privacy and data sharing and compare that with Apple.  

There are great qualities for both platforms and I used an android up until last year. Some things Google does really well.  I have just come to believe that Apple is better prepared for the future and more focused on 3 main devices than the other companies. 

Heavy Hitter

Maximize returns for investors?  How about not throw away money having 2 of your own companies compete for the same customer.  The facts are some of us chose virgin and some chose boost.  But we are getting the same phones and service for the most part.  Virgin is known worldwide as a trendy brand so it is no wonder they picked that one.

Sure it was a business decision but if you don't like it vote with your wallet. Leave boost and virgin and sprint.  Now a days you can get comparable plans a few places and even a free or cheap phone.  

I wish businesses didn't change but look at all the stores closing or going bankrupt. Ringplus just stopped service all together.  I'm just glad they didn't go that route.

And for the record, I probably won't stay because I don't want to spend 1k for 2 phones.  But that's just me.

Whiz Kid

I would be at boosted metro accept that was not my choice. You say no choice. I am from apple town. Don't like them. Innovation left with Steve Jobs. True poineer computer scientist today prefer Android. Don't lose me...!