Virgin Mobile

Poor English language skills of the customer representatives in the Filipines

Whiz Kid

Poor English language skills of the customer representatives in the Filipines

I suggest that the Filipino customer service representatives take some accent reduction classes. I called and spoke to 4 different reps today and was unable to comprehend them completely. They mispronounced many words and spoke too rapidly, even after I asked them to speak slowly and separate their words. I called back a 5th time and got someone in Mexico who I could understand better.

3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager

Re: Poor English language skills of the customer representatives in the Filipines

I'll pass this on to our call center in the Philippines, as I am sure you know many companies employee call center agents from other countries, and it can be frustrating sometimes when you are not used to certain dialects, they all speak English, but their accents can vary.  That is also the same for them when speaking to Americans, since we also have many different dialects, slangs and we often don't use proper English...ain't that right!  Thanks for the input, I know we work hard to train our agents so they can provide the best customer service possible, so I will make sure to pass this on! 

Enthusiast

Re: Poor English language skills of the customer representatives in the Filipines

@R_Bidd wrote:

I suggest that the Filipino customer service representatives take some accent reduction classes. I called and spoke to 4 different reps today and was unable to comprehend them completely. They mispronounced many words and spoke too rapidly, even after I asked them to speak slowly and separate their words. I called back a 5th time and got someone in Mexico who I could understand better.

As a full Filipino woman, I take slight offense to this post.

The country is spelled Philippines, not Filipines. Of course, most call centers of any company employ people whose primary language is not English. Accent reduction isn't some workshop you can take to instantly make you better at speaking English. Speaking a foreign language only gets better with practice. I think out of respect for the 4 reps to whom you spoke, you could at least ask to connect to a different customer service representative with better English skills to help you better.

BrootalSmack~

Heavy Hitter

Often we in certain countries do not take into account that a company we are having business dealings with is largely a foreign or international country? I love the US but also love the experience I've had while traveling to other countries and talking to persons from those countries and learning a different culture than my own. I do understand however that calling customer service usually means there might be a problem on one end of the comminicators line and it doesn't equate to them, at least as a pleasent phone call or civil discussion. Hopefully we can put ourselves in the shoes of others and realize there's a job to be done and be greatfull or understanding that at least VM does have real people to support their customers. 

I've personally found that their Facebook Messenger support system is not only quick in dealing with support issues but also very user friendly regardless what country or language you may be entitled or comfortable with and recommend it HIGHLY!

Hope you find this information useful.