Virgin Mobile

Locked Phone

Heavy Hitter

Locked Phone

If I purchase a phone (Android or iPhone) from VM and sell it to a non-VM subscriber, how can I ensure that they activate it on VM?

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Locked Phone

We’d be happy to help, but we could use more info. What’s going on, payitforward?

Heavy Hitter

@VMU_MasielQ 

Hello. I'm thinking of upgrading to a new or pre-loved iPhone or Android phone. If I decide not to activate it, I understand I can sell it to another VM subscriber or even a non-VM member. The phone is locked for twelve months. After I sell it, do I have any further responsibility for the phone? Thanks.

Oh, I see! That will be all the responsibility for the device, actually.  

Heavy Hitter

@VMU_MasielQ 

Please clarify. Are you saying that my responsibility ends when I sell it or that I am still responsible? If the latter, does that mean if a VM member buys and activates it, I'm still responsible for the device? That doesn't make sense.

payitforward

Agent

Hello, @payitforward. Thanks for contacting us. Upon selling a device, the new owner will be responsible for it. However, we advise you to educate that person whether the device is locked or if it's still active. If you have any other question, just let us know. 

Heavy Hitter

@RossyC 

Thanks for the answer and confirming what I thought.

Agent

You're welcome, @payitforward. If you have any other question, just let us know. We remain at your service. 

Heavy Hitter

@RossyC 

Thanks @RossyC . I am on the basic 18 cents/min.; 15 cents per text; 150 cents per MB data plan that is no longer offered. If I purchase an unlocked phone on my own, can I use it on my basic 18 cents/min. plan? 

payitforward

Agent

Unfortunately, If you purchase an unlocked phone, you will not be able to use it on your current plan.