Virgin Mobile

Confirmation on Iphone return

SOLVED
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Confirmation on Iphone return

First off I’ve been a Virgin Mobile customer for years, but new to this community. The iPhone 4S I originally bought years ago through VM served me faithfully. Recently I decided to do a iPhone upgrade (purchased through VM) to a (Certified Pre-Loved) 6S Plus, 64 GB, Grey.

Upside to my purchase: 

I ordered the VM iPhone via a customer service voice call and received the iPhone within a few days. The phone itself appeared to be in “like new” condition. After a small blip with the VM activation, and then a follow-up with phoning an Apple Tech, I was happy with the purchase. Then, I tried inserting the provided ear buds.

Downside to my purchase: 

Inserting the ear buds wasn’t working. The jack wouldn’t seat properly. Tried blowing out the earphone port with canned compressed air. Then the ear buds would seat properly, but no sound. Somehow, the phone got stuck in “headphones” only mode. i.e., I couldn’t get sound out of the external speakers. Called VM customer service, they said take it to an Apple Store for diagnostic, repair, and/or replacement. Supposedly the iPhone I bought was a VM Certified Pre-Love iPhone and covered by AppleCare for a year. NO such luck recognizing that at the Apple Store. Their records showed it went out of warranty in 2016 and wanted to charge $300+ to fix. I have copies their diagnostic report if needed.

Further downsides: 

After returning home from the Genius Bar and several more calls to VM customer service (with terribly long waiting times), it resulted with their suggestion to take the phone back to the Genius Bar. In checking, it was another 5 days (in my area) to get another iPhone Store appointment, putting me out of the time frame to return the phone if Apple didn’t agree to repair or replace (again).

I decided to return the iPhone for a VM refund, supposedly within the required time frame. I finally did get a RMA Number through VM customer service, re-packaged the phone with the original accessories, in the original box, and shipped via UPS ($50! from CA) to a Plainfield, IN address. UPS tracking shows it has arrived.

In the mean time I’m without a cell phone. In more calls to VM customer service I found out the original iPhone 4S (deactivated) can’t be unlocked or restarted with VM. I’m still being charged (Auto Pay) for cell service I’m not able to use. 

Questions: 

1.) How do I confirm the expected refund for the returned iPhone 6S Plus? 

2.) What I’d like to do once I confirm the refund, and then reorder another VM iPhone 6S Plus, then activate my existing cell account over to the new phone. Is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Enthusiast

Re: Confirmation on Iphone return

This is a follow-up to my recent iPhone return, refund, and ultimately another iPhone purchase. The community crew here and the responses I received are very much appreciated. Lots of lessons to be learned from my episode that may help new purchasers, or other upgrade customers.

Epilog: 

The orignal faulty jacked iPhone 6S + was reutrned and received at the Plainfield, IN facility, and verified by UPS shipping tracking. The UPS shipping cost $50+ for 2 day delivery, insurance, and other confirmation upgrades. I did recieve a refund from VM, credited back to an AMEX card, within 5 days of the received shipment. That surprised me because of declarations made here it could be up to 4 weeks before a credit was issued.

There was one comment here that suggested if I returned the faulty iPhone for a refund before rerouting my number to a new phone I could lose my decade-old cell phone number. Not a good scenario. Fortunately this did not happen in my case. 

During this episode I researched switching to another carrier, porting my cell number over, etc., but couldn't find a certified iPhone in a configuration I wanted at an acceptable price. I will say that I did find the compeiton's customer service way above what I've esperienced here at VM. Once the credit was verified in my AMEX account I did purchase another Certifiend iPhone 6S+ through VM using a phone-in customer service rep. It was shipped and received within 2 days and was a relatively easy process to activate and use my iCloud back-up to restore the new phone's settings. The new phone is functioning properly and does appear in almost new condition. So far, so good. 

Most valuable lessons:

- Check the coverage map to see if your residence receives decent reception. Now that I'm on the 4G LTE system (up from the 3G reception my original iPhone 4S could receive) I come to find out I only get 2 bars at my house. Even with that the 4G LTE is system is far superior to the older 3G reception. Mps speeds are almost 4X what I was getting previously.

- As soon as you receive and activate your Certified Pre-Loved phone, you have to go to Apple Support online (https://checkcoverage.apple.com/us/en/), enter the new serial number to check your warranty status. In my case, VM did not register my first faulty purchase, and when trying to correct the malfunction at the Apple Store - Genius Bar, they had no record of the Apple Limited Warranty for the Certified Pre-Loved phone I had purchased. Their out-of-warranty fix it price was more than VM's purchase price. If your phone is not registered follow the website links and submit your VM purchase receipts. Apple will follow-up via email confirming your Limited Warranty status.

Conclusion:

During this return, refund, and repurchase process I was without a cell phone for 10 days. It's a situation where "you get what you pay for." VM is a discount carrier with great prices, so if you don't have the time or inclination for a lenghty malfunction process, you should be with a higher priced carrier. 

7 REPLIES

We definitely want to get this figured out for you ASAP. Let’s take a closer look, ysquared! Please allow up to eight weeks for a credit to appear to the payment method you used to make the phone purchase. Once you receive your new device, you can get it activated under your existing phone number. Is your IPhone 4s still not working?

Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick reply. Again, through the VM call-in customer service I was able to get a Return Order#, and a RMA# for the return. The new phone has been delivered and accepted at the Plainfield location. Before sending the phone it was repackaged as per the online instructions. Can anyone on the VM side confirm that I'll receive a refund? If so, I'll be ordering a new iPhone again today so as not to lose my phone number.

Yep! You will receive your refund. It just takes around 8 weeks, from the time you send it and we receive it, as it goes through a few check ups before is registered in the system as received and back to the shelf.

Enthusiast

Thanks for the info and reassurance. Can you help me retrieve my VM account number? 

For sure, ysquared! Can you please send me a private message to further assist you?

Enthusiast

Following up on getting my account number. What information do you need from me?

Enthusiast

This is a follow-up to my recent iPhone return, refund, and ultimately another iPhone purchase. The community crew here and the responses I received are very much appreciated. Lots of lessons to be learned from my episode that may help new purchasers, or other upgrade customers.

Epilog: 

The orignal faulty jacked iPhone 6S + was reutrned and received at the Plainfield, IN facility, and verified by UPS shipping tracking. The UPS shipping cost $50+ for 2 day delivery, insurance, and other confirmation upgrades. I did recieve a refund from VM, credited back to an AMEX card, within 5 days of the received shipment. That surprised me because of declarations made here it could be up to 4 weeks before a credit was issued.

There was one comment here that suggested if I returned the faulty iPhone for a refund before rerouting my number to a new phone I could lose my decade-old cell phone number. Not a good scenario. Fortunately this did not happen in my case. 

During this episode I researched switching to another carrier, porting my cell number over, etc., but couldn't find a certified iPhone in a configuration I wanted at an acceptable price. I will say that I did find the compeiton's customer service way above what I've esperienced here at VM. Once the credit was verified in my AMEX account I did purchase another Certifiend iPhone 6S+ through VM using a phone-in customer service rep. It was shipped and received within 2 days and was a relatively easy process to activate and use my iCloud back-up to restore the new phone's settings. The new phone is functioning properly and does appear in almost new condition. So far, so good. 

Most valuable lessons:

- Check the coverage map to see if your residence receives decent reception. Now that I'm on the 4G LTE system (up from the 3G reception my original iPhone 4S could receive) I come to find out I only get 2 bars at my house. Even with that the 4G LTE is system is far superior to the older 3G reception. Mps speeds are almost 4X what I was getting previously.

- As soon as you receive and activate your Certified Pre-Loved phone, you have to go to Apple Support online (https://checkcoverage.apple.com/us/en/), enter the new serial number to check your warranty status. In my case, VM did not register my first faulty purchase, and when trying to correct the malfunction at the Apple Store - Genius Bar, they had no record of the Apple Limited Warranty for the Certified Pre-Loved phone I had purchased. Their out-of-warranty fix it price was more than VM's purchase price. If your phone is not registered follow the website links and submit your VM purchase receipts. Apple will follow-up via email confirming your Limited Warranty status.

Conclusion:

During this return, refund, and repurchase process I was without a cell phone for 10 days. It's a situation where "you get what you pay for." VM is a discount carrier with great prices, so if you don't have the time or inclination for a lenghty malfunction process, you should be with a higher priced carrier.