Virgin Mobile

Galaxy A6 stuck on Roaming

Whiz Kid

Galaxy A6 stuck on Roaming

Ever since I got my phone, it would randomly go into roaming mode. This would happen both at my home, and at work which is about 20 minutes away. Now it is permanently in roaming. I've tried doing the ##72786# reset with no luck. I'm missing important messages and calls. What can I do?
10 REPLIES 10
Agent

Re: Galaxy A6 stuck on Roaming

Hey there, @emelissa1426! We're deeply sorry to hear that. Could you please provide us with your nearest cross street address and zip code? That way we can see if there are any outages affecting your service. 

Whiz Kid

I am having the same issue and I have tried to reset my network using a code for my phone. 

Agent

Sorry to hear that you're having issues, @zfalls. Please send us a private message with your current address, phone number and pin. We'd love to help.

Whiz Kid

Hi Melissa -
I am having the *exact* same problem with my Galaxy A6, except if I do the ##72786# reset, it would re-connect to Virgin Mobile for a short time (anywhere from 20 to 90 minutes) but would eventually go over to roaming again.

I addressed the problem with Virgin Mobile. They were of no help whatsoever and told me to contact Samsung. I am still dealing with them, trying to fix this issue.

My question to you is: were you able to solve the problem? If so, how?

Thanks very much!
Whiz Kid

• My Samsung Galaxy A6 also says: You have lost data connectivity due to roaming. 
  • When I am at home and haven't left the house.
  • I put the phone into airplaine mode and back out about 3x/hour. That works sometimes.
  • I restart the phone @ 4-6 times a day. That works sometimes.
  • Other times, I just get messages two hours or more late, and miss phone calls.
  • My son has the exact same phone at the exact same address (01701 zip).
  • He still has the same issue, but seemingly to a lesser degree than mine. 
  • He has a 617 number, while I have a 508 number. 
  • Both our numbers have been the same through several home addresses.
  • Could there be some network setting differences due to the number, or set to an old address?
  • What has Virgin and/or Samsung done to fix this, and is there a joing collaboration???
  • Is there any fix for this yet, and if not... what is the timeframe to have a software/firmware update released?
Agent

Hi there December. We definitely would like to look into this. Please send us a private message to be able to assist you best. Victor21

Whiz Kid

Hi December -

No, I'm sorry to tell you, there is no fix for this yet as far as I can tell. I worked with Virgin Mobile's support people who ended up being totally useless - they couldn't figure out the problem and told me it wasn't their problem and to contact Samsung.

I did contact Samsung, who worked with me for a while and told me to send the phone in to their repair center, which I did - and that was a complete waste of time, as they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

So where I am now is...still working with Samsung to diagnose the problem. In the meantime, what works for me is: when the phone switches to Roaming, I do a network reset (dial ##72786#) and it will re-connect to the Virgin Mobile network that way. *For a while*.

I've noticed that when I do that, and leave the Wi-Fi connection OFF, it will stay connected to VM mobile data for hours and hours, but when I turn the Wi-Fi on again, it will switch to Roaming *within minutes*... something to consider. So I'm guessing the problem lies with the data conntection settings and/or the band frequencies the the A6 receives/doesn't receive and how it interacts with the Sprint network.

I can tell you that I don't think it has anything to do with your phone number or address.

Good luck, and if you should happen upon a fix, please let me know! Thanks.
Whiz Kid

Thanks Ericzku for the tips!

Whiz Kid

Got bopped back and forth in customer service/different people on dm's for a couple messages.Operating in private with customer service... doesn't seem like a way to get a solution.For the public record... here is my reply" 

"Hi Amy...I replied to Victor... who was replying to my post on this issue. I didn't say I don't have ANY signal bars ever... I said I have network connectivity issues. Please read my original message on this issue... or pass me back to Victor. I don't need to spend time re-explaining the issue. I miss calls and messages that are time sensitive b/c the A6 drops the network connection and doesn't refresh automatically. 

But in reality, this is not a 'me'-customer service-individual issue.This is way beyond a customer service issue.

This is a systemic-phone-engineering-business issue. It seems like a known issue that Virgin and Samsung are not jointly, nor individually, actually working on a fix for. Many people are reporting wasting countless hours with customer service... when this is a technical coding-programming software-firmware fix that's needed.  This issue should be referred to the engineers to be actually put on a docket with a plan for resolution. Seems like each of us is frustrated with the 'talk to customer service' answer when we really need to be talking to the head of engineering. Please forward this message, and the original threads to engineering.

This is a big-picture business issue. The head of business alignments/business development/joint venture contracts and or corporate legal contracts should be informed. Samsung and Virgin should be working together on a fix. While I personally am considering dropping Samsung for all phones and Virgin for service based on this, I am just one customer... but I bet so is every single A6 purchaser out there.  Please escalate this. I ordered the newest Samsung Virgin Mobile phone to have LESS issues. If I'm going to have to spend $1000 to get a new phone because of these issues... it won't be with Virgin or Samsung. Business competition in the mobile space is fierce. The 'let's handle this privately one on one with customer service' plan isn't helping, it's going to drive us away.

It's time for Virgin and Samsung to come to the table with a real solution."