Virgin Mobile

PayLo plan and phones

SOLVED
Whiz Kid

PayLo plan and phones

I have a couple of questions in the hope that someone can direct me to find the answers.

Preamble: I topped up today, but it was no longer as simple as in the past. I have a PayLo phone where I pay $20 for 90 days. I have had this account for about 4 years. I was considering upgrading my phone to one that has a camera but  discovered that unlike my previous visits to the VMU website that there was only one phone offerred which had unusually bad reviews. Further inquiries revealed that VMU is discontinuing PayLo and I had a previous bad experience with PTel when there was only a 30 day notice for loss of service (a service I started a few months earlier for a caretaker of my autistic son while I am at work who did not own a cell phone).

Question 1: Will the demise of VMU PayLo lead to loss of service to pre-existing PayLo users?

Question 2: If loss of service will occur, what is the lead time and what happens to my positive $ balance?

Question 3: If current longstanding PayLo subscribers are grandfathered in, will VMU honor Virgin Mobile PayLo phones purchased on Ebay (both new and used) as a backup in the case that my current phone stops functioning? I am assuming VMU will cease selling PayLo phones. I also have an old Virgin Moble Kyocera Oyster that is still functional, so I include this situation as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Agent

Re: PayLo plan and phones

Thank you so much for contacting us, and sorry for the late response.

1. As of today we don't have any information about the suspension of the Paylo service, If that information is not officially posted, there will be no difference in our Paylo plans, which will be available until further notice.
2. Since there is no plan to remove the Paylo plan, there will be no "Lost of service".
3. Any changes to the service or phones, will be properly announced by Virgin Mobile when suitable.

I hope I've answer all of your questions! Smiley Happy

30 REPLIES 30
Whiz Kid

Haven't used mine in 10 years. Wondering if I can still activate it. Read I will get a new phone number if I do.

Whiz Kid

Good post--great questions; I also have had a paylo plan for a while, about 9 years--it's all I need. I too would like answers to your questions as I'm in the same "boat."

Agent

Thank you so much for contacting us, and sorry for the late response.

1. As of today we don't have any information about the suspension of the Paylo service, If that information is not officially posted, there will be no difference in our Paylo plans, which will be available until further notice.
2. Since there is no plan to remove the Paylo plan, there will be no "Lost of service".
3. Any changes to the service or phones, will be properly announced by Virgin Mobile when suitable.

I hope I've answer all of your questions! Smiley Happy

Rae
Whiz Kid

I heard today that Virgin is going out of  business or selling to another company.  I too have tha PayGo $20 for 90 days.  Can't fine any decent phone anywhere that is the way we will be discountinue

Whiz Kid

Dow Draper, CEO of Virgin Mobile, stated that they are discontinuing PayLo according to the Kansas City Star. It does not mean that they cannot change their mind. It is also possible that those with a good track record with PayLo will not be affected.

Whiz Kid

I just pruchsed a Virign Alcatel Dawn Phone from WalmartmJanuary 2nd.The signage in Walmart says unlimited talk or text from $20 a month. It does not say on some Virgin phones so one would think it is all virgin phones. Totally False Advertisng from Virgin and Walmart I get the phone home and after 3 tries at ordering from Wlamart I get my Paylo $20 card. No way to enter the card into the phone or activate it. Virgin and Walmart both approve the signage and displays in the stores and I am sure their attorneys looke dat the signage as well, both companies are guilty of false advertising. it is called bait and switch. Walmart says you can not return the card. What a bunch of BIG company false advertising clowns

Whiz Kid

This needs an update, now that it is clear PayLo has been grandfathered.

Getting back to my item #3, at some point my current phone will become nonfunctional. Can I replace it with a Kyocera Oyster that I previously purchased from Virgin Mobile? Alternatively, can I replace it with a used Virgin Mobile phone from Ebay identical to the one I currently use?

Thanks in advance.

Agent

Hello Opus. We would need to verify your account to confirm the changes. Please send us a private message with your phone number and pin code, as well the MEID # of the phone you would like to swap to. Victor21

Whiz Kid

I have a PayLo Plan for last 7-8 years and my phone is damaged. I have high amout of balance in my account and do not want to lose that amount. I called Virgin Mobile customer serve and was told that the only phone that they now have for this plan is the Alcetal One Touch Speakeasy which they do not have in stock. I have checked Walmart, Best buy, Ebay and Amazon and non of them have this phone available. Could anyone tell me what are the phones that can be used on the current PayLo plan. I am very frustrated and Virgin Mobile Customer Service is useless.