Virgin Mobile

Traveling Internationally? Pack your Bags!

SOLVED
Virgin Mobile Alumni
Virgin Mobile Alumni

Traveling Internationally? Pack your Bags!

VirginAtlanticLogo.png

So you're in the Inner Circle, you’ve got the trip of a lifetime planned, your bags are packed, and you’re ready to fill up your phone with the best selfies you’ve ever taken. Before you leave the country, we’ll need to take a couple of steps to help you talk and text while you’re away.

First, give us a call at 1.844.604.3422 and we’ll unlock your phone for international use. It’ll take just a few minutes while we push a few buttons and do some technical stuff, but pretty soon, you’ll be one step closer to using your phone internationally.

sim-830357_640.pngNow, here’s where you take over. You’ll need something called a SIM kit. You can buy these in advance of your trip, or find them at the airport or electronics stores in your destination. The kits contain a SIM card formatted for international use, plus a talk, text and data package that you’ll use separately from your Virgin Mobile service. Packages differ, so be sure to shop around and choose a SIM kit with enough of each to last you through your trip.

Your SIM kit should also come with a tool for removing your current SIM card. When you arrive at your destination, simply insert the tool in the designated slot on the side of your iPhone, remove the current SIM card, and replace it with the new one. Follow the remaining instructions on your SIM kit to activate service, and you’re ready to go.

When you return home, just reverse the SIM card process and your Virgin Mobile service will be back up and running. Happy traveling!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Found a helpful, funny or interesting post? Give it a “Kudo” to say thanks.
Did my reply answer your question? Hit “Accepted Solution” to help other Community members find it.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Agent

Re: Traveling Internationally? Pack your Bags!

Hi Wootie.

This promotion is valid for the Inner Circle subscribers only. We encourage you to upgrade your phone and plan to start receiving the amazing benefits.

Edwin R.

46 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Is this only  under the new plan?  What if you have an iPhone that is still on an older plan?

Agent

Hi Wootie.

This promotion is valid for the Inner Circle subscribers only. We encourage you to upgrade your phone and plan to start receiving the amazing benefits.

Edwin R.

Highlighted
Whiz Kid

Hi,

Can we use Sim card from carriers of the country, or only VM? 

Thanks.

Agent

Good morning @antoine8410.  That's a great question! We're not sure about this. We'll need to check this with our "Special Team". As soon as we've an answer we'll let you know.

~JoyP.

Agent

@antoine8410 We apologize for the delay in answering you! According to the information we've received the device will be unlocked, and you will need to purchase the SIM card kit from the company you will use the service while traveling.  

~Joy P.

Whiz Kid

If I buy under the inner circle deal, do you have an option to buy an international plan so I can use my U.S. number in Ireland, please?
Whiz Kid

Hi Joy1713,

Thanks for the (great) answer!

I'll be your client within a week.

Antoine

Enthusiast

Why doesn't Virgin just offer an international roaming package add-on? Much easier than having to call, have the phone unlocked, stop somewhere for a SIM card when you land in another country, get a whole new number, miss all calls and texts from back home, pay for the international SIM card's service......... It's just a hassle nobody wants to deal with anymore. There's no real reason to not offer international roaming add-ons besides Sprint not wanting to give prepaid the option because it makes their postpaid service less appealing.

Whiz Kid

@torbel As a european living in the US, I still have my sim card and my plan in France so it makes a lot of sense to be able to use it when I come back for holidays. But I understand the position of going abroad for holidays and just wanting to keep your phone working without doing a thing. 

Antoine