Unable to purchase phone, support unresponsive

SOLVED
Enthusiast

Unable to purchase phone, support unresponsive

I've been trying to purchase a phone from my balance and don't appear to have the option despite it being well documented that it's permitted and supported to do so and having been explicitly told that I could use my balance for that purpose previously. The only payment option I'm given is to use a credit card, despite having a balance substantially in excess of the cost of the device.

I tried contacting support by email on January 27th, which was assigned Case #86183502 and the auto-reply said I should hear back in 24-48 hours. I also attempted to follow up via a reply late on January 31st (in support's listed time zone). I realize and appreciate that with the transition to Boost looming VM may be short on support staff and/or have a massive influx of tickets/cases, but I have yet to hear back aside from the auto response message and am rapidly becoming concerned. If a staff member could please look at this case, or at least let me know if there is indeed a backlog, that would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Unable to purchase phone, support unresponsive

We understand. The option to purchase a device using account balance is only available for Virgin Mobile customers that are still on Virgin Mobile. The transition to Boost Mobile started on February 6th and it can take until March to finish. If your phone number is still under Virgin Mobile, you can still use the account balance to purchase a device. There is no option to purchase a device using the account balance online. The only way to do this is calling customer service at 888-322-1122.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Whiz Kid

I have been waiting for a response from Customer Service as well.  I suspect we are both out of luck.  

Highlighted
Agent

Hello @MTClarity & @wbuckley. Thanks for stopping by. Unfortunately, the option to purchase devices using cash balance has been discontinued, this is due to the fact that accounts are currently being transferred to our sister brand, Boost Mobile. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast

@Nosh_CxUx Thank you very much for the response, however this comes as a major surprise and poses a rather significant problem. I've been building my balance up with the express purpose and intent of purchasing a phone using it, given that I'd previously been told it was allowed directly by support representatives. It was also still being allowed as recently as December 27th and there doesn't appear to be any official announcement that the policy of allowing purchase from balance has been discontinued.

Highlighted

We understand. The option to purchase a device using account balance is only available for Virgin Mobile customers that are still on Virgin Mobile. The transition to Boost Mobile started on February 6th and it can take until March to finish. If your phone number is still under Virgin Mobile, you can still use the account balance to purchase a device. There is no option to purchase a device using the account balance online. The only way to do this is calling customer service at 888-322-1122.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Enthusiast

I am still under Virgin Mobile for my account/number, and that seems perfectly reasonable that it might only be possible over the phone. I'll call tonight (or at the next time I can during customer service's business hours). Thank you for the help, as well as for the better time frame information on the transition.

Highlighted

You’re welcome. We remain at your service. Remember that customer service support is available from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. CST on weekdays and till 9:00 p.m. CST on weekends.

Highlighted
Enthusiast

I just tried calling customer service to purchase a phone using my account balance. There wasn't any option to choose in order to speak to someone to do this. They only gave a recorded option to find stores in which to purchase a phone.

Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

Were you able to purchase a phone? I was able to purchase a phone using my balance by messaging a Virgin Mobile agent. But that was after being told by another agent that they were no longer letting customers purchase phones using their balance. There IS no customer service by phone anymore. And it depends on which Virgin Mobile agent you message as to whether or not you will be successful at purchasing a phone. All I have to say is...YOU BETTER TRY TO PURCHASE A PHONE BEFORE THE MIGRATION TO BOOST MOBILE BECAUSE AFTER THAT...well, after that it ain't happening.

Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

Were you able to purchase a phone?