Unlock phone before Boost switch?

SOLVED
Enthusiast

Unlock phone before Boost switch?

Hi!

I've been with VMUSA for around 10 years now, but this sudden switch to Boost, while not giving us any specific details about what our plans will be, has me seriously concerned.

I would like to have my phone unlocked in advance, so if I don't find the Boost plan I am switched to satisfactory, I at least have the option of finding another carrier (without Boost deciding I haven't been with THEM long enough).

Is this possible? I've never needed to unlock a phone before, so I'm not super clear on how it works.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Agent

Re: Unlock phone before Boost switch?

Hi there Eric. Thank you for contacting us. To unlock a phone, it needs to have been active on the account for 12 months. If you do not have the 12 month activation requirement yet, your time will Virgin mobile will follow you to Boost and upon completing the 12 months requirement with Boost, you will be able to unlock your phone if not satisfy with Boost. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Agent

Hi there Eric. Thank you for contacting us. To unlock a phone, it needs to have been active on the account for 12 months. If you do not have the 12 month activation requirement yet, your time will Virgin mobile will follow you to Boost and upon completing the 12 months requirement with Boost, you will be able to unlock your phone if not satisfy with Boost. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Enthusiast

I believe my current phone has been active on my account for a little over 2 years.

Highlighted
Agent

If the phone that you want to unlock has been active for 12 months or more on a Virgin mobile account, please send us a private message with the phone number, pin code, and the IMEI/DEC number of that phone. 

Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

Be advised that even with it unlocked, it will re-lock to Virgin Mobile if you do the ##RTN# function.  I think it will also re-lock if you do a factory reset.

Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

What is the ##RTN# function?

Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

That is the master reset function.  It's also known as ##786#.  That resets the device to the original software configuration.  I was warned NOT to ever do that or my unlocked VM J7 will relock to VM.  Should not ever be needed anyway.  The only time would be if the phone's power got cutoff while the flash was being written to and corrupted the data. Then the master reset would be needed to read from the portion of the flash that is reserved for this recovery process. That's why a phone with "16GB" only has about 9.5GB usable because part of the "missing" storage is reserved for this use. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Makes sense to have a specific function to relock it, I suppose, but the factory reset thing seems kind of crazy. If you have to take your phone to a new carrier, never being able to do a factory reset seems awfully drastic.

Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

I agree.  I got my J7 (2015) unlocked so it will work on Boost without a new SIM in case my new J7 Refine has problems or my mom wants it.  Custom Otterbox case.  Was hoping it'd work on AT&T too but it won't because that's my backup provider.  I did learn last night that new locked VMobile phones will work on Boost with a new $9.99 SIM so if anyone catches any on clearance it'd be a good deal.

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Been a couple days and I haven't heard back from Victor.

Anyone else at VM around that can assist me in getting my phone unlocked?