Virgin Mobile

What the heck kind of sales tax rate are they using?

Heavy Hitter

What the heck kind of sales tax rate are they using?

I just bought a $5 data add-on because I used up all my data while my laptop was broken.  After adding it to my cart, the next step was to click the 'Calculate Tax' so I did.  Then I almost paid the total without even thinking about it, $7.36.  Hold on a minute.....what?  So I looked at the line items, thinking some of that $2.36 had to be some typical b.s. charge like 'Service Fee' or something.  But no, it actually said TAX: $2.36. 

THAT IS 47%!! 

Now is it just me, or when you buy something don't you usually see SOME kind of explanation alongside tax charges, like the name of your state if it's the state's tax rate, and/or federal, and/or the percent number of the standard rate?  This had none of that, just the word 'TAX.' 

It got me wondering what tax rate I have been paying for my regular monthly charge, since I never even thought about it before.  Turns out that's 14%, which is not nearly as crazy, but still more than the 10% my state charges.  So maybe it's state and federal combined, but that should be visible.  And more importantly, why is the rate 47% for one purchase and 14% for another?  That is not how taxation is supposed to work! 
Oh and by the way, good luck verifying what I'm saying by looking at your transaction history; here on the website after you've already paid, the history only shows the base amounts of charges and top-ups, not the extra they called "tax" when you were willing to pay whatever to get your phone working again.   

2 REPLIES 2
Agent

Re: What the heck kind of sales tax rate are they using?

Hi there! We charge regulatory and federal fees and applicable sales taxes. We determine sales taxes for payment transactions based upon the billing address zip code of the debit/credit card used. Hope this helps!

Heavy Hitter

Re: What the heck kind of sales tax rate are they using?

No I'm sorry but that did not help at all.  As I said in the post, my charges did not say anything about "regulatory and federal fees," just 'TAX' and the tax in my zip code is 10%, not 47%!   Also your assurances fall flat when it's just your word (one person) not stating anything in terms of percentages.   Where can I see the information in detail?  Do you have a link?