Your Virgin Mobile Account is Transferring to Boost Mobile

SOLVED
Enthusiast

Re: Your Virgin Mobile Account is Transferring to Boost Mobile

I too received such an email. 

I am on the Virgin Mobile 90 Day Top Up Payment Option plan.   I have two long standing Virgin Mobile accounts.  According to the email fine print Boost Mobile does not offer a similar plan.  So I called both Virgin Mobile Customer Service 1 (888) 322-1122 and Boost Mobile Customer Service 1 (866) 402-7366 to get more information.  I was told that my current Virgin account balances would transfer over to Boost on February 6, 2020.  I was also told by both customer reps (Anna and Norbert) that I would have to pick a new plans because Boost does not offer any plans like the Virgin 90 Day Top Up Payment Option plan.  The Boost rep also told me that I may even need new phones to use the Boost services and he wouldn't be able to tell me for sure until my account had transferred over. 

1) I did not initiate or approve that my account transfer from Virgin Mobile to Boost Mobile.
2) Boost Mobile does not offer a similar plan of that which I have with Virgin Mobile.
3) I have no desire to buy new phones.

I would appreciate it if a Virgin Mobile rep would respond to this conversation, and please tell me how to get a full refund of my Virgin Mobile account balances.  I would like to take my business elsewhere.

Thank you.

wants a full refund
Heavy Hitter

I am starting to get the feeling the transfer may apply to only those of us who are on the $20.00 every 90 days payment plan. I emailed Virgin Mobile and got a response saying they would reply to my question within 24 to 48 hours.

Whiz Kid

This is what I found in the VM support:  

https://support.virginmobileusa.com/templates/plans-services/migration.html

Please note the Virgin Mobile USA service will be discontinued.

We are happy to announce that existing VMU accounts will be transferring to our sister brand Boost Mobile beginning in February.

Customers were notified in early January about the decision to discontinue Virgin Mobile USA service plans. At that time, we informed customers of the transfer to Boost Mobile.

In most instances, your existing account will be transferred to Boost Mobile with your device, and a comparable or better Boost Mobile service plan at no extra cost to you.

You will keep your phone number, and your monthly payment date will remain the same as long as you continue on time payments until the transfer to Boost Mobile is complete.

Enthusiast

My wife and I are in the same boat, We have 90 day top up flip phones we use for emergencies only.

We have no desire to buy new phones. The ones we have now have removable batteries and we bought spares which is very useful when we go camping for 2 weeks every year and can switch out when they get low.

We have no desire to increase our payments when we do not use what we have now

If we can not continue with our current plans we will be forced to look elsewhere for something that meets our needs.

Again WE ARE NOT going to upgrade buying new phones and pay 2 to 3 times as much for a service we do not fully use as is.

It is obvious I am not the only one in this boat and expect they may face a serious drop out of their customer base over a potential money grab by upping the rates and forcing us to upgrade phones. If not many people WILL be looking to recover their balances when they change plans and considering the company made the change they should be required to reimburse those who will not upgrade.

If I am wrong on this they need to explain it to us VERY SOON before more people bail out of their service.

Enthusiast

Thank you for finding that and posting the info/link, @lil521! I kept looking at the actual Plans page because silly me thought if they were ending their service it would be posted there or on the main page. I guess this isn't a hoax then, although it would have been nice to get the news from VM. They didn't notify us all and no one was answering the concerns on the thread today like it was a big secret. Disappointing.

I'm grabbing pamphlets at the store tomorrow to review my options if how they've handled informing everyone is any indication of how the transfer will be handled. It doesn't even sound like everyone will be transferred when they include phrases like, "In most instances, your existing account will be transferred to Boost Mobile with your device".

Whiz Kid

Virgin Mobile Transfer To Boost Mobile - Pay as you go no data

Hello,  I currently have an older style flip phone that gets 90 day topups and pays per minute.  With the upcoming transfer to Boost Mobile, will they honor any pay as you go style plans?  I saw they have data plans, but given that my older flip phone does not have any use for data, it seems that even my phone is incompatible with Boost.  Will I also have to get a new phone with the transfer?

Seems most questions I've seen are regarding monthly payments with data plans, but I am a legacy user that doesn't need data.

Enthusiast

YES! I agree with you 100%! This is the e-mail I sent them and I will post here in a new thread:

"I just received notice that your PayLo/prepaid plans are moving to Boost. I have almost $400 in my account with you. 
1) That balance will transfer, correct?
2) I noticed that Boost doesn't have a similar plan and I'll have to sign up for a $50/month plan instead of paying $20 every three months as I do now. That's outrageous. The only way to keep service to my phone is to join one of those $50+ monthly plans, correct?
3) I have a Mantra. My understanding was that I would need to update my device to work on Boost's plan as well.

Given all this - the drastic rise in plan cost, having to get a new device, etc, I request one of the following:
a) a total refund of my balance on the plan (roughly $379)
OR
b) the ability to use my balance to buy a phone that you unlock AT PURCHASE so I may take it to another carrier.

I'm virtually a slave to this and I can find cheaper plans elsewhere. I will not pay $50/month to use 5 minutes of talk a month (look at my usage - that's IT - that's ALL I use). I didn't prompt this change - you made the decision to switch us over to Boost for a plan that is $130 more expensive over 3 months. I cannot afford that - and I shouldn't have to. I make $620/month. My rent takes all but $20. I literally CANNOT afford a $50/month plan. But since I can't afford it, I'll lose my balance. I suggest you choose one of my options (refund my ENTIRE balance left at switch over OR the ability to use my balance on a phone that will come to me unlocked so I can go with a cheaper carrier).

I can't believe you'd treat your long term customers this way. There's no excuse. At this point, you've lost my business in any sense and it's just up to you how difficult you want to make it for me to recoup my balance." 
Enthusiast

For those of you in a similar situation with a relatively high balance in their PayLo accounts, who only use their phones for emergencies or a few minutes a month and can't afford the cheapest Boost Mobile plan at $50/month ... we might need to file a class action lawsuit to get our balances back. Please reply to this message if you are interested in joining so we can share information.

I just e-mailed VM customer service with the following:

"I just received notice that your PayLo/prepaid plans are moving to Boost. I have almost $400 in my account with you. 
1) That balance will transfer, correct?
2) I noticed that Boost doesn't have a similar plan and I'll have to sign up for a $50/month plan instead of paying $20 every three months as I do now. That's outrageous. The only way to keep service to my phone is to join one of those $50+ monthly plans, correct?
3) I have a Mantra. My understanding was that I would need to update my device to work on Boost's plan as well.

Given all this - the drastic rise in plan cost, having to get a new device, etc, I request one of the following:
a) a total refund of my balance on the plan (roughly $379)
OR
b) the ability to use my balance to buy a phone that you unlock AT PURCHASE so I may take it to another carrier.

I'm virtually a slave to this and I can find cheaper plans elsewhere. I will not pay $50/month to use 5 minutes of talk a month (look at my usage - that's IT - that's ALL I use). I didn't prompt this change - you made the decision to switch us over to Boost for a plan that is $130 more expensive over 3 months. I cannot afford that - and I shouldn't have to. I make $620/month. My rent takes all but $20. I literally CANNOT afford a $50/month plan. But since I can't afford it, I'll lose my balance. I suggest you choose one of my options (refund my ENTIRE balance left at switch over OR the ability to use my balance on a phone that will come to me unlocked so I can go with a cheaper carrier). If you refuse:
1) I will start a class action lawsuit if I have to - for all the people who are in similar positions (high balance and no choice but to buy an expensive plan they don't need; several of my family members are included in this and they will join). 
2) I will also file complaints with the BBB and the Consumer Complaint Center of the FCC. 

I can't believe you'd treat your long term customers this way. There's no excuse. At this point, you've lost my business in any sense and it's just up to you how difficult you want to make it for me to recoup my balance." 
Enthusiast

I am not a contract attorney but according to: https://support.virginmobileusa.com/templates/plans-services/migration.html

1) "At this time a decision to discontinue the Virgin Mobile USA service has been made."

2) "Boost Mobile also does not accept 45/90 Day Top Up Payment Option for service payments. Customers enrolled in 45/90 Day Top Up Payment option will need to re-establish payment option and re-enroll in a Low Balance Autopay option using a major credit/debit card prior to transition in order to avoid service interruption"

IMHO, Virgin Mobile has breached our contracts, is liable, and should provide full refunds of our account balances.

wants a full refund
Whiz Kid

I'm using virgin mobiles international service and have for years... not sure if Boost has a similar plan. But while we are all still with virgin - time to get your phones unlocked if you have had your phone for a year - so we can shop around. Luckily they unlocked mine a couple of months ago.