Virgin Mobile

Androids that could be switched to a Canadian network when I move?

SOLVED
Enthusiast

Androids that could be switched to a Canadian network when I move?

My current Android phone is on its last legs, and I need to buy a new one soon. I'm moving from the US to Canada in mid 2018. I know Virgin Mobile doesn't use the same network as phone companies in Canada. Are there any newer Virgin Mobile phones that are capable of being unlocked & SIM swapped for use in Canada so once I move, I could still use my cell phone? I don't really want to buy a new phone right now and then have to buy a new one again in a matter of months, and I've heard Canadian phone plans are ridiculous in price for what you get. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Wizard

Re: Androids that could be switched to a Canadian network when I move?

There may be no way to solve the issue for two separate reasons. The first is that the Android phones that Virgin Mobile sells would not be unlocked for 12 months even if they could be used on GSM. Second, while, there are Androids that are unlocked and work on both systems they are not eligible to be used here.

The chioce would be to get an Android just until you no longer are on this network or get an iPhone that you could use both here and in Canada.

If you go that route you could get the promotional rate here for 6 months and then use the phone in Canada or anywhere else.

Should you decide to do that you must buy the sim free model from the Apple Store directly or a used compatible model. Do not buy a new model anywhere else as it will not work the way it needs to in this case.
4 REPLIES
Wizard

There may be no way to solve the issue for two separate reasons. The first is that the Android phones that Virgin Mobile sells would not be unlocked for 12 months even if they could be used on GSM. Second, while, there are Androids that are unlocked and work on both systems they are not eligible to be used here.

The chioce would be to get an Android just until you no longer are on this network or get an iPhone that you could use both here and in Canada.

If you go that route you could get the promotional rate here for 6 months and then use the phone in Canada or anywhere else.

Should you decide to do that you must buy the sim free model from the Apple Store directly or a used compatible model. Do not buy a new model anywhere else as it will not work the way it needs to in this case.
Enthusiast

Thank you for your answer! I didn't know that it couldn't be unlocked until 12 months.
Whiz Kid

I would find another cellular network provider as of 8/18 Virgin mobile will only deal with Apple I phones and will stop selling android phones altogether I think that is shut Apple sucks who wants the same thing as everyone else not me
Highlighted
Agent

Hi, Coffinfiller. We understand your concern. Please know that we are working with our sister company Boost Mobile to provide the best possible options and future solutions for our Android customers.