Are 3G phone no longer able to be activated? (Error 06-05-5115)

SOLVED
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Are 3G phone no longer able to be activated? (Error 06-05-5115)

I was attempting to do a phone swap from an old flip phone to a newer one that I used to use but had switched at one point to another phone(but still old Samsung Entro).  I never got the activation confirmation email and so called to see what I needed to do.  The agent had me put in ##847446# and tell it to activate but it won't complete.   

Online my account shows I have the new phone, but I can't activate it.

I was on the phone with support trying to get it activated and I keep getting error 06-07-5115

The agent said this is a 3G phone and they will sometimes not activate now due to phase out of 3G

I believe Virgin Mobile is using the Sprint network, and Google tells me that Sprint stopped allowing activation of 3G phones in April of 2019.

Is this why I cannot get this phone activated?

Please only reply if you actually know the answer.  I don't want any "Sure, sure, that's it" just because it is a possible reason.

I have tried several different things.  If you can tell me what MSN and MSID I need to have since I edited those at one point to try to get it working.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

Re: Are 3G phone no longer able to be activated? (Error 06-05-5115)

It's tied to both.  The MSID & MDN are transmitted by the phone when you place a call.  The MSID tells them who to charge for the call.  The MDN tells them the phone number the phone is currently using.  In older 3G phones this is programmed into them by a human.  The ESN is also transmitted which is the MEID.  This identifies a specific phone & is not programable.  Since it shows your old new phone on the site as the one you want to use, it likely "remembers" the MEID so once your program the correct MSID & MDN I suspect it will work.  My mom's Super Slice was 10 yrs old when I stood it up in 2018 & it remebered it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

Your MDN is your 10 digit phone number with area code.  Your MSID is also a 10 digit number that likely starts with your area code & should still be visible on your old devices.  This assumes you did not reprogram the older devices you did not intend to use.  If you did, you'll need to contact Virgin mobile to get it.  I switched my mom from a 3G Super Slice to an android phone & that required me to call VM & talk to someone so you still may have to call.  I could not get it to show the new phone online like you did though.  I do not know about 3G being phased out.  You can get this error code if you have any other radios activated (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc.) while attempting to contact 3G while programming phone so make sure they're off if it has them.  Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Is the MSID tied to the phone or to the account?  Or neither?

Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

It's tied to both.  The MSID & MDN are transmitted by the phone when you place a call.  The MSID tells them who to charge for the call.  The MDN tells them the phone number the phone is currently using.  In older 3G phones this is programmed into them by a human.  The ESN is also transmitted which is the MEID.  This identifies a specific phone & is not programable.  Since it shows your old new phone on the site as the one you want to use, it likely "remembers" the MEID so once your program the correct MSID & MDN I suspect it will work.  My mom's Super Slice was 10 yrs old when I stood it up in 2018 & it remebered it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Enthusiast

I got the MDN and MSID from my old phone, put them in the new phone, and it immediately started working.

Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

Excellent! You fixed your cellphone and programmed it correctly. +10 Geek points! 🙂  Congrats.