Virgin Mobile

Calling over WiFi

Agent

Re: Calling over WiFi

Hey, bradc! Thanks for your honest feedback!We appreciate it.

Enthusiast

Steve...
 I've used wifi calling for years through MetroPCS (a prepaid service). And people don't use wifi calling so that they don't have to use their own data. That's absurd. Making calls isn't what uses data, data is... People like myself use wifi calling because we have poor reception.

Enthusiast

100% agree with you. My service with VM is lame at best. I'm in NYC and one would expect such a large market would have a phone company investing in providing better service. I transferred my number from Metro PCS and regretted it even before my service with VM technically started. I called VM to check on my number port over when they mentioned paying $60 once the number transfers so I could start my service. When I mentioned that I was supposed to be on the $1 for 12 months plan they transferred me to another department to have that changed and of course while I was on hold was when my number ported over so my MetroPCS phone no longer worked and the call dropped. On a Friday night in NYC with places to go and people to see it took me 2 hours before I was able to resolve the situation and use my new VM phone. And of course since VM has such poor service where I live (contrary to the service map I thought I was wise enough to check before switching) I had to find a spot that gave me a couple of reception bars which turned out to be a block away in order to speak with customer "service." My MetroPCS service was so perfect, so clear that you wouldn't even have thought it was prepaid and I regret leaving for this $1 deal that I just new was too good to be true. You definitely get what you pay for. Based on the service so far I should be getting change back. The fact that Virgin Mobile doesn't even allow wifi calling just boils my blood. I believe they have factory disabled that option. We're on the Sprint network and I know people with iPhones that make wifi calls with them. I have an iPhone and am going to look into jailbraking to see if I can possible make a wifi call then. I doubt it but it's worth trying. So mad at myself for switching. Goes to show you the power of marketing. Crossing off days on my calendar for this year to be up. Gonna try to get my money's worth out of this raw deal and I'm gone. *dueces*
Enthusiast

EXACTLY
Enthusiast

Yep. Sprint customers can make wifi calls. But we can't through Virgin Mobile even though VM is a reseller of Sprint. Apparently Virgin Mobile has disabled our ability to make wifi calls. For what reason? Who knows. It's probably a part of some reseller agreement between Sprint and VM to keep Sprint's network from being jammed with wifi callers from VM customers. Oddly enough VM would have and get more customers with wifi calling enabled. I guess it would've been a smart move by Sprint to not allow it then since it would mean having some of their customers poached. Even still, as a new Virgin Mobile customer I am heated to have crap service AND the inability to make wifi calls. What a combination. What a company. Hopefully the efforts that should've been put into the Virgin cell company have been reallocated to the space program. *hands clasped in prayer*

Sorry for the confusion, Bcool3! Wi-Fi Calling is not currently available for Prepaid devices under the Sprint network. We apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

Enthusiast

I am aware! The point was not availability but CAPABILITY...
Whiz Kid

Hi! Listen, if you go to Google and download Google Voice you will be given a phone number and youi are going to be able to call using wifi and google is Super when it comes to Wi Fi calling!

I hope this is great for you!!!

Tony

Whiz Kid

Just wanted to join in and express my frustration that VM (Sprint) does not offer WiFi calling. I came to VM from Ting (on GSM) who did offer WiFi calling for GSM and it was a GREAT thing to have.

Virgin Mobile staff...you're missing that some of us (myself included) spend significant time in basements and other areas which have poor coverage due to structures/buildings. Offering WiFi calling overcomes that weakness.

I sincerely hope VM can work with Sprint to allow WiFi calling on the CDMA network. This is nothing more than an anti-customer game Sprint (and others?) is playing, that's it. Fair warning, this is important enough that I'll go back to a GSM provider next August when my current VM promotion is up if WiFi calling isn't offered by then.

Whiz Kid

So glad I read this thread. I was about to switch 3 lines over to VM Inner Circle with 3 iPhone 8 purchases. However, with no WiFi calling service it’s a no-go. As others have stated, my need is based on coverage issues on the Sprint network. There is a coverage hole surrounding my house. Sprint’s WiFi call back up service is the only way I can get reliable service in my home. Virgin Mobile’s inability or unwillingness to provide WiFi calling is a terrible disservice to its customers and potential customers. Needless to say, I’m passing the word widely on this issue.