Virgin Mobile

No LTE Data Connection while on a Call

SOLVED
Whiz Kid

No LTE Data Connection while on a Call

About a month ago I noticed my Goggle map was complaining about "No Data Connection" while on a long call while driving... I have had LTE for some time and have grown dependant on the Dual nature (concurrent Voice and Data) of LTE. I thought it was just a fluke or was in a 3G area.. But now it is all the time. Is anyone else having this issue "No Data while on a Call" in an LTE coverage area? There is some chatter about the Sprint Spark roll-out causing this limitation. Unfortunately Virgin has no useful information for me. (Seattle, WA - HTC Desire 626s)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: No LTE Data Connection while on a Call

Hey drobe008! Our service does not allow voice and data to be transmitted to one cellular antenna simultaneously. The antenna could be used for a voice call or a data transmission, but not both at the same time. The reason is so we can provide the best service on the signal you need to use. However, you are able to use voice and data with Wi-Fi connection. Please let us know if we can provide any further assistance.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

I am happy activate my phone 505 air code thank you and my phone turn on today activation new service my account  yesterday I was call virgin mobile phone is not work I am said abort phone feel bad all time God help you I say that  you not job now today

Sensei

Hey! Sorry about a delyaed response!

It sounds like your device might need to be updated.. or the device is not capable of being able to multitask with Data and Voice.

-VMU Nerd Josh

-Josh the Virgin Mobile Expert
Whiz Kid

It's the SIM card take it out than put back in if problem gets worse get a new SIM and number but keep the phone

The following excerpt is from a Wikipedia entry on Sprint corporation. I think that the corporation had an obligation to tell people about this limitation.

===============

Sprint Spark (renamed Sprint LTE Plus) On October 30, 2013, Sprint announced that it would begin offering devices that are capable of accessing its 2.5 GHz LTE network to post-paid subscribers in the following month. This service, previously called "Sprint Spark" was first announced with limited availability. Sprint more recently rebranded this service as "LTE Plus", demonstrating peak speeds of more than 100 Mbps, and has also announced that three-channel carrier aggregation has demonstrated a 295 Mbps download speed on their HTC 10 smartphone. Today, Sprint Corporation's LTE Plus service is available in more than 150 markets. This network, however, comes with a trade off. Users with LTE Plus enabled phones report being unable to make 3G Voice calls and use LTE data simultaneously. The reason for this is that these devices only contain one antenna, whereas older devices (like the Samsung Galaxy S3) can utilize this feature because there are 2 radios (one for 3G Voice Calls and one for LTE Data). Coincidentally, iPhone 6s on Sprint does not support VoLTE while the same phone on Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile can use this feature. There is no update as to when Sprint will launch VoLTE, however, CEO Marcelo Claure has committed to a VoLTE launch in the future. Until then, customers wishing to utilize data while on a voice call are required to be connected to WiFi.

I am actually angry about this problem of not being able to talk and simultaneously use data. The Stylo 2 was released in April 2016, and if VM knew about this problem long before this date, they should have at least labelled this phone as having this limitation. I believe they should replace this phone with one of similar camera megapixels, and display size but with the two radios for not notifying people that there is an issue.

Enthusiast

I have an iPhone 7 on VM. When I have LTE service and I make a call the LTE service indicator disappears and I can't get data or surf the web during th call. How do I fix this?
Highlighted
Enthusiast

I have an IPhone 7. I have an running current OS and have reset and update carrier settings, and replaced SIM card. I am still unable to use data during a phone call. The LTE indicator vanishes as soon as I make a call. How do I fix this?
Agent

Hello, thanks for contacting us, zimtekcom. We want to provide our customers the best experience at the least cost. Boost phones are able to talk on the Boost network while using data on a Wi-Fi connection. This phone configuration provides the best battery life and LTE data speeds at the least cost to you.

Enthusiast

I am in the same boat.

When I had my iphone on ATT they had to turn on the access via account. I have not found that option anywhere on Virgin Mobile. Can someone confirm if we can talk and use data on LTE simultaneously?