Virgin Mobile

Not receiving texts from other carriers

SOLVED
Whiz Kid

Not receiving texts from other carriers

I can connect to the internet on my phone, and I can make calls. I can receive text messages from the customer support, and I can receive messages from someone on the Sprint network, but not from people on other carriers. I've already reset my phone and everything so that's not the issue. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Agent

Re: Not receiving texts from other carriers

Thanks, @salloy07. Fortunately, there are no outages affecting the service. Please, follow these steps to program the phone: 

1. Turn Wi-Fi off and Mobile Data on
 - Settings > Wi-Fi > Off
 - Settings > Data Usage > Mobile Data > On
2. Check signal strength (3 bars, or 60% is recommended)
3. From the dial pad enter ##72786# (press "ok" when prompted)
4. The cellphone is going to update the Profile and the PRL and reboot automatically. 

When completed, test the messaging service and let us know if the problem persists.

14 REPLIES 14
Agent

When did the issue start? What type of phone do you have? Have you recently made a device swap?

Whiz Kid

Hi. No I did not recently make a device swap, and I have the X Charge phone. The issue started on Thursday morning and lasted until last night (Saturday). The phone is actually working right now, and I received all my text messages at once last night.  

I believe I am now accessing text messages by roaming or another carrier, but I don't know for sure. Although it's working now, this wasn't the first time that it has happened. The last time it happened was just before I left the country. I did not use the network abroad and when I returned to the US my phone was working then. So I would appreciate learning what to do if this happens again. A reset likely won't solve the issue. 

Agent

If this happens again, you can try updating your data profile:

• Tap the Settings icon.
  • In the General tab, scroll to and tap System updates.
  • Tap Update profile.
  • Once the profile update is complete, tap OK.
  • Power cycle your phone
Whiz Kid

Hi again,

The same issue started happening again. I have updated the data profile without a change. I think it's a carrier to carrier issue. I've updated the data profile, the PRL and the firmware but that doesn't seem to do it. I know that eventually it will start working again but I'd appreciate if there's something that can be done sooner. 

Agent

We are so sorry that happened, salloy07. To research further, can you send us the cross streets and ZIP codes where this occurs?

Whiz Kid

Zipcode is 02169 on Dysart St and Scammell St. I've also travelled to zip code 02114 today. Thank you! 

Agent

Thanks, @salloy07. Fortunately, there are no outages affecting the service. Please, follow these steps to program the phone: 

1. Turn Wi-Fi off and Mobile Data on
 - Settings > Wi-Fi > Off
 - Settings > Data Usage > Mobile Data > On
2. Check signal strength (3 bars, or 60% is recommended)
3. From the dial pad enter ##72786# (press "ok" when prompted)
4. The cellphone is going to update the Profile and the PRL and reboot automatically. 

When completed, test the messaging service and let us know if the problem persists.

Whiz Kid

Thanks! This did work. After I followed the steps and asked someone to send me a text message I then received all the texts that people had sent me after the problem began. 

Highlighted
Agent

Hello, @salloy07. It's great to hear that. Thanks for letting us know. Please, get back to us if you need further assistance. We remain at your service.