Virgin Mobile

Traveling to UK

SOLVED
Highlighted
Whiz Kid

Traveling to UK

I'm traveling to the UK next month and I'd like to get a sim card there for my phone. I understand that it needs to be unlocked first. I've emailed customer service and in the response they said I need to have a Virgin sim card installed in order to receive the unlock signal. The issue is, I have a galaxy s8 and while there is a slot for a sim, I don't have a sim. My question is, do I need to go and buy a Virgin sim and install it in order to unlock my phone before I leave?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Agent

Re: Traveling to UK

Hello orngcat. That's correct. You need to have a compatible SIM in order to have your device unlock as it needs to be connected to our network to receive the commands to unlock your SIM slot on your device. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Agent

Hello orngcat. That's correct. You need to have a compatible SIM in order to have your device unlock as it needs to be connected to our network to receive the commands to unlock your SIM slot on your device. 

View solution in original post

Whiz Kid

You can't use Virgin anywhere other than US. They lock your phone so if you try to use a different SIM it will not work. You have to contact Virgin to unlock your phone which sounds like it should be simple but it's not. I contacted three times and recieved no response. I called and was transferred several times, then I sat on hold another 30 minutes. The customer service agent tried to get me to keep service (even though I specifically said that I NEED to be able to use my phone when I travel abroad) and then he told me that he would forward my message and it should take 5-7 bussiness days to process. Oh yeah and I also got chanrged for some International Plan that I did not want, which only allows you to call other countries and not  make calls abroad.