Trouble switching between older phones

SOLVED
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Trouble switching between older phones

I want to switch phones from a Kyocera 2119 to a Kyocera K9 Rave.

Steps taken:

1. From the virgin mobile website, in my account, I went through the process of entering the ESN of the K9 Rave and swapping phones.  It said everything was OK and the new phone was ready to use.  However, whenever I try to make a call from the K9 Rave, I get a message "Sprint has connected you to an external operator where you can now complete outbound calls" with options to call collect or to set up a prepaid account, neither of which I want.
  2. Just to double check, from my account page, I switched back to the Kyocera 2119 which went fine and I was able to make calls again from the Kyocera 2119.
  3. From my account page, I switched back to the K9 Rave.  I noticed that the phone number of the K9 Rave was still the phone number for the previous owner of that phone.  I dialed *22801 to set MDN and MSID both to the new phone number (my phone number).  Then, when trying to make calls from the K9 Rave, I got a different message that I am roaming.  Also, *22801 no longer does anything; maybe there is a limit to the number of times the phone can be programmed that way.
  4. I read that the MSID is not supposed to be changed when the phone number changes, only the MDN.  So, I dialed 111111 to get to options.  Then I selected Programming and entered the security code 847446, which worked.  From there I changed the MSID/MIN back to what it had been (which was the previous owner's phone number), while making sure the MDN is still set to my own phone number.  As a result, when making calls, I no longer got the message that I am roaming, but am back to the original message "Sprint has connected you to an external operator."  It still doesn't work.  The previous owner's phone number is still in use (she is using a different phone now), so maybe that causes a problem with the MSID/MIN being the same as hers.
  5. I went to inspect the options of the 2119 to see how they are different from the Rave.  However, now I can no longer get into the Programming screen of the Rave.  When I dial 111111 to get to options and select Programming on the Rave, the security code 847446 no longer works!  Also 868666 doesn't work, and nor does 000000.

Switching to a newer phone is not a good option because I'm on a legacy plan that is not compatible with newer phones (25/10cents Min2Min).  This legacy plan is cheaper for my infrequent usage than any plan compatible with newer phones.  Basically I just want an emergency phone to be used only a few times a year.  There are certain hardware problems with the 2119 which is why I want to switch phones, although the 2119 does still work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Agent

Re: Trouble switching between older phones

Hello, @hollyd. Thanks for reaching out. Please send us a PM with your phone number and PIN so we can further assist you with this. You can send a private message by clicking on my name, then selecting the message option from the profile page.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

See our solution here https://community.virginmobileusa.com/t5/Network-Coverage/Are-3G-phone-no-longer-able-to-be-activate... or click on the solution dealing with 3G phones being activated.  All the info is there. The MEID does not change but the MSID does change. User brian4xp swaped his 3G phone in that thread.

Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

The ##847446# is the only code I saw for programming it.  It does say in the manual  https://www.virginmobileusa.com/resources/phones/prepaid/manual/kyocera-k7-rave.pdf to reset the phone by removing the battery.  I'd try that by leaving the battery off for 5 minutes or so, reconnecting it, then try ##847446# & that should hopefully get you back in to program it.

Enthusiast

##847446# doesn't do anything on this phone.  I enter it and nothing special happens immediately.  I can press "call" to dial the number ##847446#, but that just gets me to the same message about connecting to an external carrier.

I do have a couple more old Kyocera Rave phones I can try this on though, left over from when the whole family was using these phones.  But if there's a limit to the number of times I can program them, I want to make sure to do the right thing.  Am I understanding correctly that I should set MDN = the 10 digit phone number for my Virgin Mobile account, and MSID/MIN to the same number?  I did try that, that's when the message when I tried to make a call changed from the "connecting to external carrier" message to the "roaming" message.  Is that actually a positive sign?  And what should I do about it, if it is?  I am not roaming - I'm able to make calls from the old Kyocera 2119 just fine without any roaming message.

Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

<p>Your MDN &amp; MSID should very likely be different.&nbsp; This goes into it in greater detail &amp; different circumstances than we did in the 3G/older phones post.&nbsp;&nbsp;https://androidforums.com/threads/should-my-phones-min-be-matching-my-cell-number.220470/&nbsp; Based on my experience with VM, your MDN &amp; MSID should be two different numbers.&nbsp; As I explained in the 3G/older phones post the MDN=your phone number &amp; the MSID=who is being charged.&nbsp; As brian4xp stated in the 3G post, you may not be allowed to switch older 3G devices.&nbsp; Sprint's cutoff date for 3G service is 12/31/2022.&nbsp; Do keep that in mind. I do not know about the roaming message.&nbsp; You may this: wirh the device off &amp; battery connected, press &amp; hold volume up then power, continue holding both &amp; see if a recovery screen appears that allows a reset.&nbsp; Some Kyrocera devices use this but I could not find out if yours does.&nbsp; Make sure you have any info off it you need if you do this.</p>
Highlighted
Agent

Hello, @hollyd. Thanks for reaching out. Please send us a PM with your phone number and PIN so we can further assist you with this. You can send a private message by clicking on my name, then selecting the message option from the profile page.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Thank you!  Just to explain what happened, Nosh_CxUx provided a specific MSID for the phone which got it working.

Highlighted
Heavy Hitter

Thanks to Nosh_CxUx for the help.  Congrats to hollyd on fixing and correctly programming your cellphone. +10 geek points!  🙂