Virgin Mobile

"network error" after activating new phone?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Whiz Kid

"network error" after activating new phone?

I activated a new android phone yesterday (transferred my existing Virgin Mobile number from one phone to another).  The new phone seems to be activated...it makes and receives calls and texts, but it keeps giving me an alert that says "Network Error".  I seem to remember this happening before when I activated a phone and I have to do some series of steps including turnign off wifi, updating some kind of setting, restarting, etc.  Can anyone walk me through these steps?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Virtuoso

Re: "network error" after activating new phone?

Chances are the message is related to the fact the upgrade did not complete.

You might want to try again later on your wifi  but before that perhaps reset network settings 

http://www.teamandroid.com/2015/05/29/how-to-reset-network-settings-in-android-m/

6 REPLIES
Virtuoso

Try the following:

1) Power off phone.

2) Wait 5 minutes and power back on.  If the message reappears go to 3).

3) Go to Settings and open Wireless and Network (or your phone's equivalent)

4) Tap on Mobile Networks

5) Tap Network operations and select "automatically."

See if that solves the issue.

Whiz Kid

Thanks.  The phone was off all night and gave the message when it was turned on this morning.  The Mobile Network setting is already at automatic.

My husband (it's his phone) reports that he got the error at our home this morning when it's on WiFi, but he hasn't gotten it at his work today where he doesn't have Wifi.  Could that have something to do with it?

On a perhaps related note, we tried the Android System Update to version 7.0 last night, also on Wifi.  It went through all the steps, but didn't actually take.  It's still on version 6.something and keeps telling us it needs to do the update.  I feel like this might be related to the Network issue.

Virtuoso

Chances are the message is related to the fact the upgrade did not complete.

You might want to try again later on your wifi  but before that perhaps reset network settings 

http://www.teamandroid.com/2015/05/29/how-to-reset-network-settings-in-android-m/

Agent

Hi there Moneypenny. madra31 gave you some good advise but if those steps did not work, then you need to reprogram your device. But before you do that, make sure that the Sim card that came with the device is inserted properly. Then follow the steps below: 

1. Turn off Wi-Fi

2. Turn on mobile Data

3. Make sure you have at least 3 signal bars

4. on your dial Pad, enter ##72786#

Your device will turn off and on at least twice. Follow all the prompts and press ok or yes to everything you see. The whole process should take no more than 6 minutes, give or take. Please let me know how that worked out.

Whiz Kid

I reset the network settings and then tried the Android update again.  It worked!  I realized that it had several updates to go through (3 or 4).  First the OS updated to 7.0 and then it had a couple of security patches to install.  Everything is working fine with no network errors. 

Since this worked, I didn't need to try the advice from the other poster, but thanks to you both for the info and assistance!

Agent

That’s great, @Moneypenny! If you need our assistance, just let us know.