Virgin Mobile

Assurance Wireless Basic Phone Options?

Assurance Wireless Basic Phone Options?

I just became an Assurance Wireless customer a few weeks ago. When my account was initially activated I received a smartphone in the mail – I believe a ZTE Quest. Because I wanted to DOWNGRADE to a basic/feature/flip phone I then purchased an Alcatel Go Flip phone from the Virgin Mobile store online. When I received the new phone in the mail I logged into my Assurance Wireless account and entered the IMEI/MEID only to have a message pop up saying that the Assurance Wireless service wouldn’t work with the Alcatel Go Flip phone. I’ve searched google over and over again attempting to find a list of phones that WILL work with the Assurance Wireless service but apparently Assurance Wireless likes to keep this information very secret as I haven’t found ANY information anywhere. All I want is a basic/feature/flip phone that will work with the Assurance Wireless service – does ANYONE know what my options are or where I can even find such information? I don’t understand why Assurance Wireless feels like they need to keep this information secret?
14 REPLIES 14
Agent

Re: Assurance Wireless Basic Phone Options?

@AWNewCustomer17 Good morning! If you wish to downgrade a Feature device. We'll be more than happy to assist you. Would you be so kind to send us a "Private Message" so we can further assist you. Please, include the phone and PIN number of your account.

~JoyP.

Is there a way you can just post what basic phone options work with Assurance Wireless?  Why is it a secret?

Agent

Hi. There is no secret to this information. Please log on to the Assurance Wireless website (FAQ)  http://www.assurancewireless.com/Public/FAQs.aspx go to " What phone, other than the FREE Assurance Wireless phone, can I use with Assurance Wireless service? " and the following information will be provided. The ALCATEL ONETOUCH Speakeasy™ is available through Virgin Mobile and can be used with your Assurance Wireless service. For more information about this phone please log on to your Assurance online account, on the right hand side you would see "upgrade to an android phone", tap on the tab and it would take you to the page to purchase your compatible device. Victor21

Enthusiast

I sure hope this option works for me.  I've been an Assurance customer for a few years (low income disabled senior) and need to switch to a smart phone hoping I can text easier.  

this little Alcatel phone is the worst phone on earth, especially for texting. 

so imagine my dismay to come on to virgin mobile's web site and can not find any information on any phone other than i-phones.  I am not buying an i-phone - ever - and am not spending a bunch of money on any phone. 

Honestly, it feels like Assurance "customers" ARE indeed being given a hard time on this web site -

Highlighted

So apparently the Alcatel OneTouch Speakeasy is the ONLY basic/feature/flip phone that works with the Assurance Wireless service? I also followed the link provided and it took me back to the Virgin Mobile website where there's absolutely nothing else listed besides the iPhone. It now appears to be exclusively iPhone and why would I even be on Assurance Wireless if I could afford an iPhone? If someone can afford $600-$800 or more for a phone they shouldn't be on Assurance Wireless.

Thank you bevcat5 - at least you seem to understand my frustration. Glad to know I'm not alone in trying to navigate this.
Whiz Kid

If you follow the link provided by the "Agent" you'll find no information about the Alcatel SpeakEasy or any other basic phone.  According to the "What phone, other than the FREE Assurance Wireless phone, can I use with Assurance Wireless service?" info. on the Assurance FAQ page:

"The ZTE Quest is the recommended compatible AndroidTM smartphone that can be used on Assurance Wireless at this time. Other Assurance Wireless Android models (Coolpad 3300 and Unimax 673) are also compatible.

Some older basic feature phones from Virgin Mobile and PayLo may be used with an Assurance Wireless account. Assurance Wireless does not support Blackberry or iPhone.

For the best customer experience we encourage you to use the phone sent to you by Assurance Wireless.

Whiz Kid

Customer service just told me they are phasing out the BASIC phone. They no longer offer it. BUT-for those that still have it-they provide service. And, IF you still want a Basic phone--- instead of the ONLY other phone offered-the $27 , 3 day delivery, smart phone that they do provide now,....you must go to retail outlets and buy the Basic phone. However- itseems that the SMART phone will soon be the only option...so might as well accept the fact.  I want a BASIC only phone too...but we are being forced to move away from it.

Whiz Kid

I also want to down grade to a flip phone. This is for my brother who can't use the smart phone. I bought the same phone from Virgin mobile that is suppose to work only to find out it doesn't work with assurance. I can't find one anywhere