Virgin Mobile

BYOD activation and international sim card.

Highlighted
Enthusiast

BYOD activation and international sim card.

I purchased an unlocked Moto G5 Plus (which is good for both GSM and CDMA) from Amazon, and am wondering whether doing the following thing is possible.

1. Activate new Moto G5 Plus with my current VM # (my current phone is HTC 816).

After reading several threads, I believe it is possible. A new sim card should be purchased and I may need to call Virgin Mobile to do Re-SKU (???) though. Am I correct?  

2. Use my Moto G5 Plus phone while I am visiting a foreign country by inserting a local carrier's GSM sim card. 

My main concern is (1) whether I can use the same Moto G5 Plus phone by switching to a local carrier's sim card while I am visiting a foreign country after Virgin Mobilie activation, and (2) whether I can move back to Virgin Mobile by inserting the Virgin Mobile sim card after return to the US. 

Thanks in advance. 

Best, C

6 REPLIES 6
Enthusiast

Re: BYOD activation and international sim card.

I to bought a unlocked Moto G5 Plus, I have been using Virgin Mobile for 10 or more years and want to swap to the G5 but no luck so far I ordered a 3 in 1 sim (Radio Shack is no more) I order it from Sprint and the sim works great in the G5. Entering the IMEI number of the phone on line or over the phone does not work, can not talk to a real person about it and no Radio Shack here and Sprint knows nothing. Help!

Agent

Hello @kchyhj. Virgin Mobile USA does not guarantee that you will be able to use your device oversee after using it with Virgin Mobile. 

@3sentar, you will need to to buy a SIM card kit visiting a Sprint at RadioShack store and they will install and activate your phone.

Enthusiast

There is no Radio Shack (closed) I order the 3 in 1 sim and have it in my phone works but trying to swap from my old phone to the unlocked phone.

Agent

Please, send me a private message to further assist you.

Enthusiast

@Lawrence Thanks for your reply. I understand that VM can't gaurantee it. But do you lock my phone to VM or to the USA when it is activated with VM. Or you don't do anything specifically to lock the phone to the VM network, but VM just doosn't gaurantee it's usuability in foreign countries? 

Agent

Virgin Mobile USA does not lock the device, but Virgin Mobile USA does not guarantee usability in foreign countries.