Virgin Mobile

LTE speed throttled on VM vs Sprint

Whiz Kid

LTE speed throttled on VM vs Sprint

I just joined VM very recently, and noticed that VM seem to have speed cap on its LTE data. I was running a speed test on 2 iPhone 6 next to each other, one is on VM and the other is on Sprint account. The iPhone that has Sprint service was running up to 56 Mbps, while the iPhone running VM has only up to 16 Mbps. The tests were conducted multiple times at multiple places within NYC urban areas with at least 4 out of 5 bars on both phones. Both accounts have less than 2 GB usage, so they're not capped by the account's montly limit.

Anyone have similar experience? I suspect Sprint, like many of its competitors (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile), throttled their MVNO's LTE speed.

15 REPLIES 15
Agent

Re: LTE speed throttled on VM vs Sprint

skarbird Thanks for letting us know that. Send us a private message to follow up. - E.J.

Enthusiast

This question is a topic we all should be able to see. Why are you telling the author to go private with the question? I would like to know the answer also, as I am experiencing slow data speeds also.
Agent

Omahagreg, you're right! However, this scenario has a lot of variants and it could be account related and not a general issue. In cases like this, we'd rather isolate the case while gathering private account information that might help us pin point the root cause of the problem, to later provide a general overview for other users once the specific issue has been resolved. If we find there is an outage or any other type of general network problem, you'll be informed through this channel.

Please send us your phone number and address on a private message. We'll be glad to check on that immediately.

EdwinRG.

Whiz Kid

This is NOT an account related issue as stated in the first post. And Virgin Mobile currently only has 1 plan. So it's not plan specific. Also, as stated in the first post, this is not a one-off. The tests were conducted many times throughout many places within a major city. So there's no network issue, unless you're telling me all the towers within the city are down? VM Agent  - Please read the entire post before responding.

I don't need VM customer service help. It's not a problem or outage. It's a common practice. Verizon throttles MVNOs to 5 Mbps, AT&T throttles to 8 Mbps. I'm simply gathering users' opinions/experienc on VM as it's not clearly indicated in T&C page.

Whiz Kid

YRe: LTE speed throttled on VM vs Sprint

I am jealous! My "high speed" data is currently running at .5 down and .25 upload. Yes, point 5 not five point ZERO or fifty, point 5. Virgin sucks
Agent

Re: YRe: LTE speed throttled on VM vs Sprint

@aimeagle21 We definitely want to look into this for you. PM us so we can follow up? - E.J.

Whiz Kid

Totally agree with the slow speeds. I’m experiencing them as well.
Master

can you please check my account. my iphone is real slow. ill send pm. thank you
Agent

Hi there, rosscjr! We’d be happy to help. Just shoot us a private message, and we‘ll definitely help you out with this.