Use my paylo balance to upgrade to iphone or android

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Use my paylo balance to upgrade to iphone or android

Hey all, i have a paylo account that has been active for over 10 years now, my balance is now at $378 and some change due to me not using my phone very much. My Mantra flip phone will not make calls anymore due to WA state's new area code system and after countless attempts with customer service I am now at a loss. I have access to both a used verizon iPhone 6s plus that can be unlocked, as well as a used virgin mobile LG tribute phone.

Can I register one of these 2 devices to my account and upgrade to a unlimited plan and still just use my existing $387 balance to pay the bill till its depleted? If so, will I still need to add $20 every 90 days to keep it active while usiung my balance to pay my monthly bill?  

If i cannot bring either device, will i be able to purchase a device using said balance then use what is left to pay the bill till it is depleted? The iPhone would be my first choice in preference because the LG has a cracked screen. 

Please help me as my next top up is due on the 5th and I do not want to lose my balance but also do not want to spend another $20 to keep my account active if I Cannot continue to keep using it. I cannot afford to purchase a new expensive phone right now that is why I am hoping i can use one of these phones. 

thank you all for your help and have a good evening.

9 REPLIES 9
Agent

Re: Use my paylo balance to upgrade to iphone or android

Hey there @addennnn. Sorry for the late response! First, you need to verify, if the device is compatible with our network. Now, as we've mentioned before, you can either use it to purchase a new device or use to pay a monthly plan. For further assistance, please send us a private message.

Note: For you to send a me a Private Message only need to click on my username, which will take to my profile, once you're there on the right side of the screen you will see the option to send me a Message.

~ Joy P.

Enthusiast

Thank you for the response. The LG phone is a virgin mobile phone. The iPhone is a Verizon 6s plus, when I entered in the numbers on your website it says it should be compatible but will need to be unlocked by Verizon first which is something I can do. But either way with what you're saying is I can bring either phone and upgrade to an unlimited plan and use my $387 balance to pay my monthly bill?
Will I still have to top up $20 every 90 days to keep my balance until it's gone?
Agent

Hey @addennnn. You actually do not need to make any payments, until you use all the balance you have on the account now.

~ Joy P.

Enthusiast

Oh wonderful! Thank you. How do I go about switching my device and plan then?
Agent

Hey there @addennnn Please, send us a private message, so we can further assist you.

Note: For you to send a me a Private Message only need to click on my username, which will take to my profile, once you're there on the right side of the screen you will see the option to send me a Message.

~ Joy P.

Whiz Kid

I am having the same problem (I have a $200 balance on my paylo account).  I have been told more than once that I CANNOT use this money for my account payments.  In fact, even with this balance, I keep getting warning notices every 90 days that my account will be turned off unless I make my usual quarterly payment.

Meanwhile, I wanted to upgrade to an iPhone today, and am now told that I cannot use the balance towards an iPhone, only to purchase an android phone (which I do not need or want, AND is not even offered on the VM page at this time anyway).

Has anyone had a better result than this?  Thank you

Agent

We understand your concern, @MapleChris, and we apologize. Unfortunately, cash balance cannot be used to buy any Apple devices. We're still offering android phones. Please click here to see the phones available.

Mar
Whiz Kid

I have a similar situation.

I have a prepaid account balance.  I have the old Oyster flip phone.  I want to upgrade to a new iphone.  Since I CANNOT use the account balance to purchase an iphone, can I bring an iphone to my existing prepaid account?

Mar

Agent

Hi Mar!

Some iPhones can be brought over to us. For details on which phone are compatible, please check our website https://www.virginmobileusa.com/plans/bring-your-device.html.

EdwinRG.