Virgin Mobile

Worst insurance coverage ever

Heavy Hitter

Worst insurance coverage ever

So I have to say paying 3vyears insurance coverage on my HTC Desire 816 pretty much was crap because when it came right down to it and my phone broke- they send me a Samsung Galaxy J7 to replace it. Talk about a crappy phone! So 3 years insurance coverage and they can't even replace my phone with the same one I had. So warning to others, don't bother with insurance. You'll probably get some crappy replacement or a cheap knockoff for your trouble. I'd rather just be reimbursed my insurance money. The J7 is not even comparable. What a scam!
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Agent

Re: Worst insurance coverage ever

Hi vickylmartinez!

Our insurance provider is Brightstar.

Brightstar Device Protection may fulfill claims with a reconditioned phone of like kind and quality. In the event a reconditioned phone is not available, the replacement will be a new phone of like kind and quality. The goal of Brightstar Device Protection is to make every attempt to replace your phone with the same make and model covered. If this is not possible, they will fulfill the claim with a similar model of your current phone.

The HTC Desire 816 launched in February 2014, and may not be available where required. The Samsung J7 is from March of 2016, and is definitely a comparable, and in many ways a better phone than your old HTC device.

Here's a comparative guide of the main features on both phones:

DISPLAY

• Size    

HTC 816 - 5.5 inches, 83.4 cm2 (~67.7% screen-to-body ratio)    
Samsung J7 - 5.5 inches, 83.4 cm2 (~72.3% screen-to-body ratio)    

• Resolution

HTC 816 - 720 x 1280 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~267 ppi density)    
Samsung J7 - 720 x 1280 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~267 ppi density)    

PLATFORM OS
HTC 816 - Android 4.4.2 (KitKat), upgradable to 6.0 (Marshmallow)    
Samsung J7 - Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow), upgradable to 7.0 (Nougat)

Chipset
HTC 816 - Qualcomm MSM8928 Snapdragon 400
Samsung J7 - Qualcomm MSM8952 Snapdragon 617

CPU
HTC 816 - Quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A7
Samsung J7 - Octa-core (4x1.6 GHz Cortex-A53 & 4x1.0 GHz Cortex-A53)

GPU
HTC 816 - Adreno 305
Samsung J7 - Adreno 405

MEMORY
HTC 816 - microSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot)
Samsung J7 - microSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot)

• Internal

HTC 816 - 8 GB, 1.5 GB RAM
Samsung J7 - 16 GB, 2 GB RAM

CAMERA

• Front

HTC 816 - Primary    13 MP (f/2.2, 28mm), AF, LED flash, check quality
Samsung J7 - 13 MP (f/1.9, 28mm), AF, LED flash, check quality

• Video

HTC 816 - 1080p@30fps, 720p@60fps
Samsung J7 - 1080p@30fps  

• Secondary

HTC 816 - 5 MP, f/2.8, 1080p
Samsung J7 - 5 MP, f/1.9, LED flash

We hope this information helps!

EdwinRG.

Heavy Hitter

The selfies pics are horrid no matter what I try to do and the HTC Gallery, in my opinion was far more superior. Someone said I can download different camera and gallery apps and I find nothing comparable. I also find the button placement for on/off screen is just placed oddly and it's just uncomfortable for hand placement. Screenshots are harder to take with having to use a button on the side of the phone and the other on the face of the phone. I mean seriously, did anyone think this thru. And the headphone jack is on the bottom of the phone. What's up with that? I don't wear headphones on my bum. I have to pocket my phone upside down when I wear my ear buds. It's just complete dyslexia in the way everything is so Hodge podge every which way on this phone. I get irritated and frustrated every time I try to use it. It takes 3x the amount of time to accomplish anything on it.
Granted, these are just semantics geared more toward my comfort but that's what works for me. So thanks for the rundown on the phone comparison but in my opinion the J7 was a crappy exchange.
And this is a refurbished phone, not new - so no, either way you slice it I'm stuck with what I get too bad so sad. I still believe it was a waste of money because why bother to pay insurance on a phone I like if it is only to get a different phone for my trouble. I'd rather them offer to fix my old phone than have this one. Sorry, again, it's just about what I'm comfortable with. But I will definitely never go with phone insurance coverage again because in the end it's throwing away money. I'd rather put it in the bank every month and have the option to pick my replacement phone when the need arises
Whiz Kid

Yes it is. I been with them since 2010 I wasted a lot of money on insurance. Just recently I needed a new phone and they basically told me I had to have $50 down to get a new one. So what's the reason for insurance if I'm pulling money out my pocket for a new phone. I was so angry I cancelled it.