Virgin Mobile

Service cancelled without notice for Pay-Lo customers

Heavy Hitter

Service cancelled without notice for Pay-Lo customers

In my area (southwest Washington state), Sprint has started changing the technology on their towers, making basic phones unusable.  By basic phones, I mean phones that are not smart phones (i.e. flip phones) or that are not LTE capable.

They are doing this with no notice whatsoever to customers.  One morning you wake up and you have no service.  Even though their policy clearly states that existing Pay-Lo customers will never lose their service as long as they are current on their top-ups.

Their solution is to buy an upgraded phone.  The catch: they won't let the phone work on your Pay-Lo plan.  You also have to upgrade your plan to a minimum $35.00/month plan.

You don't want to do this, because overall cost is too expensive?  Too bad.

How about any cash balances from your PREPAID plan - can you get a refund, since you don't even have service to use up the balance?  No way - just sucks to be you.

How about top-up cards that you might have bought - can you get these refunded?  Virgin says to go to the retailer to get a refund, but you find out all prepaid card sales are final.  Out of luck again.

OK, can I get my phone unlocked so it is not just a paper weight?  Sorry, these phones are hard-locked and cannot be used anywhere else, even though the policy on the website does not tell you this.

How about unlocking that new smart phone that Virgin recommended I buy as a solution, to partially compensate for all of the aggravation?  Sorry, but the phone has not been active on the Virgin network for 12 months, so no deal.  Virgin supposedly does not even have the unlock codes but, they whisper, you can go to a third-party and for a fee they might be able to unlock it for you.  How the hell can a third-party have the unlock codes and Virgin not have them?

This has been my true experience trying to resolve a problem I did not create.  My solution: find a company that cares about their customers, and switch your service to them.

And no, I do not want to see another insincere message posted telling me how much you care, and I do not want to send a private message, that you will do nothing about.

4 REPLIES 4
Agent

Re: Service cancelled without notice for Pay-Lo customers

We definitely want to look into this for you, wkey. We'll like to verify the status of the network in the area since this seems to be a network issue. Would you be so kind to send us your nearest cross street including your zip code and city?

QM
Enthusiast

May be the same for Northeast Kentucky. Two days now my phone has been searching for service.

Agent

@QM Understood. PM us so we can follow up?

- E.J.

QM
Enthusiast

The interruption continued so I chose another carrier leaving an account balance of $7. Be nice if Virgin would use it to buy some gloves for a kid or a bowl of soup for a hobo or something.  Thanks to CSR Jaasiel for assisting with the port and to Virgin for the years of good service up to this. Adieu.