Virgin Mobile

The monthly insurance is a joke- a whopping $175 deductible? Might as well opt out of insurance

Whiz Kid

The monthly insurance is a joke- a whopping $175 deductible? Might as well opt out of insurance

I'm here to kind of forewarn anyone who's looking at buying the monthly insurance, which may seem like a good deal because at $7 per month, it seems really affordable for the protection it provides. However, PLEASE look up what the deductible for phone will be and then compare it to the retail price for that phone and if you're willing to get a refurbished version of it if anything shall happen, it is likely better to never pay for the insurance in the first place.

I have an iPhone 5s and was paying the $7 per month for that insurance. However, this was on the caveat that was falsely given by a Virgin Mobile representive that I would have to pay no more than 20 to 50 dollars maximum.  It seems like I was either blatantly lied to on the phone or she simply did not know what she was talking about.  It turns out that I would have to pay $175 as the deductible to replace the iPhone 5s and when I looked up the retail price for this phone, it is no more than $199 for the 16 GB model (what I have) or $299 for the 32 GB, or $399 for the 64 GB!  

So, imagine if you had been paying $7 per month for a while, say for a year or so, then you could easily surpass the retail price of just getting a new phone anyway after you pay the deductible! Even if you don't, you would be pretty close to the retail price of a new one and maybe at that point you already want another kind of phone or just pay significantly cheaper for a refurbished one.  Honestly, I wish I could get a refund for that monthly insurance; I should'n't have opted in in the first place. 

1 REPLY 1
Agent

Re: The monthly insurance is a joke- a whopping $175 deductible? Might as well opt out of insurance

Hi, NagaJolokia! Really sorry to hear about this experience. Phone insurance covers:

•Lost or Stolen
•Accidentally damaged (including liquid damage)

•Has an out-of-warranty mechanical or electrical breakdown

For future reference, you can find the answers to all of your coverage, claim and deductible questions at www.myphoneguardian.com. Please, feel free to visit https://community.virginmobileusa.com/t5/Learning-Library/Phone-Insurance/ta-p/4205 for more details about the insurance.

~AmyM25