Virgin Mobile

BYOD iPhone 6s (Verizon unlocked)

Highlighted
Enthusiast

BYOD iPhone 6s (Verizon unlocked)

I have 4 iphones (one 5s, two 6s, and one 6) with Virgin Mobile for my family. I have been a very long term customer of Virgin Mobile (7+ years, Maybe 10 years.. I don’t remember). I am in need of upgrading the last 5s we own to a 6s, but the prices for all VM iPhones recently increased to Apple standard retail pricing.. which has priced me out of buying another iPhone from VM. 

Yesterday, I purchased an iPhone 6s online (unlocked Verizon iphone 6s 64GB A1688. Unit is wiped, not locked on iCloud, and no unpaid bills) and will have it in 7-10 days. This will be my first attempt to utilize the BYOD program to activate a non-original VM configured iPhone with VM. Over the years, we have had pretty every iPhone from the 4 to 6s on VM, but they were always configured originally for VM, and bought directly from VM. 

Since Radio Shack is no longer in business, I plan on getting a 3 in 1 sim directly from the Apple Store. When I have the new sim, I intend on calling the VM customer support to get the phone / new sim combo white listed for use on VM then activated.. Anything else I need to know?

8 REPLIES 8
Agent

Re: BYOD iPhone 6s (Verizon unlocked)

Hi. Unfortunately at this time Virgin Mobile USA does not have a Bring Your Own Device program or SIM card kits. We only activate phones specifically branded for our service. You can buy any of our available phones from our website, or from a verified seller of Virgin Mobile USA phones. For more information please visit the following link: https://www.virginmobileusa.com/support#searchResult. Victor21

Enthusiast

"Hi. Unfortunately at this time Virgin Mobile USA does not have a Bring Your Own Device program or SIM card kits. We only activate phones specifically branded for our service. You can buy any of our available phones from our website, or from a verified seller of Virgin Mobile USA phones. For more information please visit the following link: https://www.virginmobileusa.com/support#searchResult. Victor21 "

You are misinformed: 

https://community.virginmobileusa.com/t5/My-Account-Plans-Orders/BYOD-Questions/m-p/1683#M191

BYOD QUESTIONS?
Hi Everyone!

I see some of you have some great questions about the VMU BYOD.

Newly launched, there are certain phones that fall for the BYOD program.

Please also know Virgin Mobile will not unlock any device what so ever that does not fall under the unlock policy as follows nor any NON Virgin Mobile device will be unlocked:

General Eligibility for Unlocking

Virgin Mobile will assist with unlocking a device under the following circumstances:
The device has not been reported as lost or stolen or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked
The device has been active on the associated account for at least 12 months with the account active at that time
If you believe you meet the above requirements and would like to request that your DSU-capable device be unlocked, contact Virgin Mobile Customer Care by dialing 1-[***personal info removed***].

The BYOD Program is:

Below, you can see detail about this!

- Eligible phones include:

• iPhone 7 (Verizon Only)
• iPhone 7 Plus (Verizon Only)
• iPhone SE (Verizon Only)
• iPhone 6s
• iPhone 6s Plus
• iPhone 6
• iPhone 5s (Verizon Only)
• iPhone 5c (Verizon Only)
• Samsung Galaxy S7 Special Edition
• Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Special Edition

• See specific phone model number below:

A1532

A1533

A1549

A1522

A1633

A1634

A1662

A1660

A1661

A1529

A1530

A1586

A1524

A1688

A1687

A1723

A1778

A1784

A1507

A1457

A1700

A1699

A1779

A1785

A1456

A1453

A1780

A1786

- Tablets are not eligible.

Please do know that Virgin Mobile USA/Any carrier does not guarntee nor warrant that all service will function with a BYOD device.

Below you can find some FAQ's:

• What is a SIM Card?

- A SIM (Subscriber Identification Module) card is a specially programmed microchip that stores network identification data only. No personal information is stored in these SIMs. It identifies the user to the network. You'll need one that identifies you to the Sprint network in order to bring your own phone.

• How do I know what type of SIM card to use?

- There is a 3 in 1 universal SIM card that is designed to fit in any of the eligible devices for purchase.

- To buy a SIM card kit, visit a select Sprint at Radio Shack retailer and they will install and activate your phone.

• Where can I get a SIM card and activate my phone?

- To buy a SIM card kit, visit a Sprint at Radio Shack retailer and they will install and activate your phone.

- Our Customer Care agents will not be able to sell you a SIM kit or activate the device at this time. Also, SIM cards are not available at virginmobileusa.com yet.

• How much are SIM Kits and is there a reactivation fee?

- SIM Kits retail for $10 + tax.

- There is no reactivation fee.

• What plans are available when I bring my own phone?

- Any current monthly Virgin Mobile plan is available.

• Why do you need my phone's IMEI number?

- The International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number is a 15-digit serial number that identifies your wireless phone. It is important to have the correct IMEI number for your phone registered with Boost Mobile to ensure that your device can be activated on our network.

• What is domestic unlocking? Will my phone need to be unlocked and will it affect my network settings?

- Your old carrier will have to domestically unlock your phone before you can carry it over to a Virgin Mobile plan.

- A domestic SIM unlock allows you to insert the universal SIM card into your device and attempt to activate it on the Sprint network. Unlocking your device will not necessarily make it interoperable with the Sprint network. In other words, a device designed for one network is not compatible with another network merely by unlocking it. Additionally, unlocking a device may enable some functionality of the device but not all (e.g. an unlocked device may support voice services but data services may not work or may be limited when activated on the Sprint network). Visit a select Sprint at Radio Shack retailer to check your device's compatibility.

• Will all my phone features and services work when I bring my phone?

- Features and network experience may vary based on original device carrier.

- Not all services may work including International Roaming, Mobile Hotspot, MMS (multi-media text messages), some browsers, or eCare (native account management applications).

- For Apple devices domestic roaming may not be available.

• Should I factory reset my phone before activating it with Virgin Mobile?

- It is strongly recommended that your phone be factory reset prior to completing the activation and provisioning with the Virgin Mobile network. This ensures that all previous wireless carrier network settings are completely removed.

• Why isn't my phone eligible?

- Unlocking your phone will not necessarily make it interoperable with Virgin Mobile service.

- A device designed for one network is not compatible with another network merely by unlocking it as there are other checks that would block it from eligibility (such as if the device was previously reported lost or stolen).

- Due to this limitation, some devices aren't eligible.

• Can I bring a Boost Mobile phone and activate it on Virgin Mobile service?

- No. At this time, Sprint and Boost Mobile phones are not eligible.

• Can I buy a used phone and bring it to Virgin Mobile?

- Please use caution when purchasing a used phone from an unknown source as there is no guarantee that it is unlocked or not stolen. Locked or previously lost/stolen phones will not be eligible for this program.

• What should I do if I have a hardware problem with my phone?

- If you have an AppleCare agreement, please refer to the terms and conditions of your agreement. Visiting an Apple Store may be best to help you troubleshoot your issue under your AppleCare agreement.

- For all other phones, please refer to your manufacturer's warranty terms and conditions.

• What happens to my AppleCare if I bring over my phone?

- AppleCare moves with your device. Your AppleCare agreement should remain active if you bring your phone.

Any questions? Shoot them in the comments below!
-Josh the Virgin Mobile Expert
Agent

Thank you for the information. That reply is dated ‎[***personal info removed***]. Our policies have been updated. We do apologize for any misunderstanding. Please review the following link for more information: https://www.virginmobileusa.com/support#searchResult. Victor21

Enthusiast

Well I guess you are about to loose a long term reliably paying customer with 4 numbers...

Agent

The changes are based on up coming adjustments in the near future. Please continue to visit the website for up coming new features to Virgin Mobile. Victor21

Whiz Kid

@Victor21 wrote:

Thank you for the information. That reply is dated ‎[***personal info removed***]. Our policies have been updated. We do apologize for any misunderstanding. Please review the following bathmate link for more information: http://www.malebathmate.com/ Victor21

The changes depend on upcoming modifications in the future. Make sure you continue to look at the website for upcoming latest features to Virgin Mobile. Victor21
Whiz Kid

I have a iphone 5s from virgin mobile. It is broken. Apple will replace it with a new 5s. Will the new 5s work on my existing $30 / month (not inner circle) plan?
Agent

Hey there @Falz What's the exact problem with your device? Would you please provide us more details?

~JoyP.