Virgin Mobile

BYOD iphone 6 issue

Enthusiast

BYOD iphone 6 issue

So I have an unlocked gsm iphone 6, model number A1549, which, according to this virgin forum post (link), it should all be good, but the website tells me its ineligible. I called straight talk, whom i had an account with until just recently, and tried to get them to unlock my phone. But they dont lock byod phones, and the only thing that would be keeping it form working would be the sim card. Well I do still have a straight talk sim card, but the only way I've found to get the virgin sim kit is for virgin to tell me its eligible and then proceed with sending it, but that can't happen because its ineligible because of the sim card.

9 REPLIES 9
Wizard

Re: BYOD iphone 6 issue

There are 3 distinct hoops to be jumped through here.

1) the phone must be whitelisted by Sprint to work on its network.  You can check that by going to Tello and putting in your IMEI.

https://tello.com/bring_your_own_phone

Unless the checker says the phone can be activated immediately there is no way forward unless and until that hurdle can be cleared.

2) getting a sim card is easy.  There are three different models that work.

The Apple Store will normally provide one free of charge or you can buy one from Ting or other places.

3) the biggest hurdle is getting the device activated on Virgin Mobile.  Even if you can satisfy the first two requirements you will not be able to meet the third one unless the IMEI passes the Virgin Mobile checker.  I can confirm this from very recent personal experience.

Heavy Hitter

1. The GSM model won't work (the CDMA model will, and it works on cdma and gsm... but based on your comments you may not actually know which one you have and it's confusing cause both use the same model number)
2. SIM card has nothing to do with imei checker
3. Virgins imei checker is stupid anyway cause it bounced my friends phone which is definitely compatible and eligible
4. Unless you bought your phone full price directly from apple sim free, then it probably IS locked (the way you check is put another sim in it and if it says invalid sim, it's locked)
5. Check with Tello as suggested, tho my preference is Ting because it gives a few more details
Heavy Hitter

This was useful, having an issue with a iphone 6s, ran both tello and Ting, didn't think to check theirs, ting has a lot more info, both site say the phone is good to go, so apparently virgin eligibility checker is having issues. Anyone know another way to connect with them to get it working and get things setup?

Hi, @Erik Remember, if you have the GMS only version, it won't work with our network. We apologize.

Wizard

There are no GSM or CDMA only model 6 phones.

The model 6 series is unique in iPhone history as it is the only truly universal phone Apple has released.

Any iPhone 6 can work on both GSM and CDMA but that does not mean a given phone will work on the system it was not initially intended for retail distribution on .

To activate on GSM, if originally CDMA or vica versa, requires the phone to be unlocked (there are international sim unlocks [ISU] and domestic sim unlocks [DSU]).

Once activated (meaning unlocked if needed) a phone will only provision properly if it has the approratiate activation policy.  That is not detectable on the phone itself.  Only in exceptional cases is it possible, with the assistance of Apple, to have an activation policy modified.

Heavy Hitter

Tested in tello and ting, both approve it. Both models are gsm and cdma compatible. No reason it shouldn't, friend did it with their 6s bought around the same time and no issues. Unlocked so no idea why every other carrier says good to go but it's not working with virgin. So if another way to confirm and setup let me know.
Heavy Hitter

So are you saying you need an unlock from the carrier currently on and another unlock for sim?
Wizard

No.

Your phone is fine if Ting and Tello says it can be activated and no further action is required.

The problem is the same one my family member had and that is Virgin Mobile is not allowing your phone on its network.

Since it is their network, the company can and does decide which iPhones will operate on it.  The fact that a phone could operate on it does not matter if the company will not permit it.

There is nothing you can do if Virgin Mobile will not authorize the phone.

Heavy Hitter

Wow. That's odd that they'd let some 6s come over but not others. Has to be a reason for it, especially if supported it goes against the whole bring your device then.